Has anyone had alot of drainage from the surgery?

vorth
on 8/31/03 11:35 am - Mineral Point, WI
I am almost 3 weeks out now and I have so much drainage it is making me sick. I have had drainage from one of the drain tube sites that they removed the tube from last Monday. This one was draining so bad that I had to use a sanitary napkin to keep from soiling my clothes. Then after seeing the DR on Friday, (he cleaned it out with a Q-tip and boy did that HURT) that site stopped draining so heavily and now I have drainage coming from the bottom of my incision site which is now broke open. The DR has told me that drainage is normal, but this just seems like way to much. I am finally on some antibiotics and I hope that helps any infection that may occur and I will be calling the DR Tuesday to advise him of the incision disruption, but I am wondering how many others have had this problem? Thanks for any help. This has been a long 2 1/2 weeks and I can't wait to start feeling better.
tbgoddess
on 9/2/03 3:59 pm - new london, wi
I have not had the surgery yet, but i had 2 c-sections and i had drainage after them, and it was normal from what the doctor said. Everyone's body is different, and sometimes it takes longer to feel better. I hope you start feeling better soon, after you do feel better, you will be so glad you did the surgery. I have a friemnd, Jamie, who did the surgery, and while they were doing it, they knicked her bowels, and she ended up with an infection, and back in for surgery and in ICU for a few weeks. With all the problems she had, 2 years later, 165 lbs gone, she is still happy she did it and she says if she had to do it all over she would in a heart beat. She says all the problems were well worth it in the long run, because she has a renewed life and stronger faith because of it. SHe told me to think of it much like having a baby, it hurts like hell, but when you have that baby in your arms the pain is gone. So when you have a renewed life and new body, you will forget the crap you had to go throu to get there and be able to enjoy the rest of your life. God bless and i hope your road to recovery is ahead soon for you.
Bonnie B.
on 9/4/03 12:53 pm - East Troy, WI
Hi Vicky, I went through the same thing. From 2 c-sections, and my WLS. I drained for quite awhile. I too, had to tape sanitary pads to my tummy. Don't worry, it will stop eventually. We all heal at different rates. Not to make you feel any worse, but my draining lasted about 1-1/2 months. Hopefully yours won't last that long. I always had trouble with fluid retention, and I think that may have been part of it. Just hang in there, it will get better! I know it's a lot to deal with now, but you'll be feeling better soon!
tbgoddess
on 9/6/03 4:22 pm - new london, wi
How are you feeling? Has the drainage stopped? You are in my thoughts and prayers!
Most Active