3+ Weeks Post-Op

Joshua C.
on 9/28/03 11:00 am - Fontana, WI
Hello all... I happened to notice that I am the only male who has posted on here recently, so forgive me if my comments/questions seem unusual. I was three weeks post op as of last Friday, and have lost 30 lbs. so far. By the way I had Lap. RNY @ UW done by Dr.'s Garren and Gould (who, coincidentally, I would recommend anyone to). It has been pretty easygoing so far (no vomiting, no "dumping syndrome", etc.), however I am concerned about how much, or rather, little, I can eat. For instance, tonight I went to Houlihan's with my family for dinner, I ordered a cup of soup, and was only able to eat about three bites, before I was painfully full. Has anyone dealt with this? If so, what can you eat? I am eating VERY little. For instance, yesterday I had half of a pudding cup and about six mini pretzels, and a ton of water. Is that normal, or does it seem to little? Please let me know. And, in advance, in case I forget in the future, thank you all for your support, and I wish you ALL the best of luck with your journeys! Thanks, Josh
vorth
on 9/28/03 10:24 pm - Mineral Point, WI
Josh: It is normal to eat such a small amount. My dietician said about 2 ounces or 1/4 of a cup of food is all your pouch will hold during the first couple months. By the the time you are 1 year out they say you should be able to do about 1 cup, but that is it. That is why the protein drinks, vitamins and water are so important. I am just over 6 weeks out and I find that some things I can eat more of then 1/4 cup and then other things 1/4 cup is to much. I had 3 little pieces of cod nuggets last week and the 3rd one gave me pain. On the other hand, I can eat 1 cup of popcorn at a time. Everyone and everything is different so it is a trial and error system. I have not dumped yet, but milk does give me stomach cramps and eventually the runs. Good luck and feel free to email me with any other questions, or just post them here. I try to visit this site once a day. Vicky
TraK41
on 10/2/03 8:15 am - Waukesha, WI
Hi Josh! Your post reminded me all too much of the same questions and concerns I had. I kept thinking "how can I live on this small amount of food!!". It is such a drastic change from how we used to eat. I am 4 months post-op today, and still to this day, my eating is very limited. It does depend on what the food is however. I had my surgery at Froedtert, and they do not want us eating protein drinks (they say we used to do that on our diets all our lives, and it is not a long term solution). So what we do is always start with our protein first, no matter what else in on the plate. Once we are done with our protein, we can eat anything else until we are "full" (and really knowing that full feeling is a whole new ballgame too!). Never drink with your meals (that was very hard for me!!). As time goes on your pouch will stretch some, but not a lot. I can eat a 4 oz chicken breast with a slice of cheese melted on it, but then I am full. Sometimes I only eat a few bites of yogurt or cheese and I am full. Listen to your body, and keep a journal in the beginning to help you reflect on your daily intake and how you felt. Congrats on the surgery and the 30 pound weight loss already! Way to go!! I just have this feeling you are going to do terrific! Please keep in touch as we are all in this together!! Take good care, Traci (Waukesha) (post-op 6-2-03, down 80 pounds!)
Most Active