Second thoughts?

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/08 8:17 am, edited 12/8/08 8:18 am
Hi there!
  After fighting with my insurance for coverage of my wls, I'm having second thoughts about some of the decisions I've made.  While I'm not have second thoughts about the surgery and changing my life for the better, I am having doubts about which procedure is the best for me.  I initially chose the LapBand procedure, because there are fewer reported risks with this surgery and if worse came to worse, it could be removed altogether.  Now, I'm wondering if I made the right decision.  I'm wondering if I should have chosen the RNY procedure for it's permanance.  I've spoken with numerous people who have had the RNY and they have ALL said it was the best thing they ever did, and never even considered the lapband for themselves.  I see them, and wonder, 'Wow, they look so good...so healthy...I wonder if I can still change my mind and have the RNY instead?"  I've never spoken to anyone who has had the lapband, so I don't really have anything to compare.  So my mind keeps going in circles.  Does it really matter which procedure I have, as long as I have one of them?  I just don't know what to think.  Will my insurance pay for the RNY if I change my mind?  Ugh......my surgery date is quickly approaching...January 12th....I don't have much time to figure this out.
Jennifer M.
on 12/9/08 6:44 am - Casper, WY
Have you posted in the Lap Band board? You will find people there that are happy and healthy with their band and people who hate it. I think no matter what surgery it is you will hear the good and the bad. I personally chose RNY because I had 150 lbs to lose and knew the RNY would have a greater chance of helping me reach my goal. I agree with the people you have talked to in saying I feel I made the best decision for me. I was able to reach my goal and have kep the weight off for nearly  6 years.

Talk to your doctor about how you are feeling. He might have some insight to help you with your decision. As far as the insurance is concerned, just call and ask their policy for coverage on RNY.
NNicholas
on 1/24/09 3:41 pm - Oxford, MI
I considered all the surgical options. I made my decision on my personal life style. I know I would not fit the regiment of needing to go in for adjustments made lap band a second choice for me. DS results in a very restrictive absorption of nutrients so I knew that my outdoorsy, survivalist type hunting trips would be dangerous for a DS patient. RNY was a good fit for me and I have, as of yet, had no regrets. I have lost just under 200 lbs in 10 months.

I miss my place in Wyoming
Nick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello Wyoming!!
wyo_sarah · 3 replies · 5113 views
Little Bites
pinklowrider · 0 replies · 5709 views
February 20, 2013
pinklowrider · 2 replies · 6258 views
Good Morning Wyoming
pinklowrider · 0 replies · 5637 views