Little Bites

pinklowrider
on 3/11/13 12:58 pm - Sheridan, WY

I subscribe to the e-zine "goop", written by Gwyneth Paltrow.  This month's edition had recipes for some awesome protein rich one-bite snacks---so very perfect for gastric bypass patients.  Examples are  Caesar Salad Bites, Almond Butter, and Chickpea Salsa.  The website address is www.goop.com.  Check it out and try some of those little protein rich snacks for your mid-morning or mid-afternoon meals.

I am still struggling with getting enough protein every day--which is why I was so excited to find the above recipes.  It gets old drinking Whey protein at least once every day--even though I have tried every avenue of mixing it that I believe exists--milk, yogurt, smoothies, juice, cream soups, etc.  At 5 years post op I still struggle with meat--especially beef.  Seems it doesn't matter how small I cut the pieces or how many times I chew it, it just makes me feel sick.  I don't necessarily feel pain, like it might be getting stuck, I just feel nauseous and often vomit from it.  This isn't a consistent problem and it isn't simply a steak problem.  It happen**** or miss on any type of beef that I have tried.  Chicken, turkey, pork, and fish do not bother me.  I have met other bypass patients that have the exact same complaint, so I'm not sure there is any rational explanation or fix for the problem.

Bottom line, we require 60-75 grams of protein per day to keep up our metabolism, energy, and muscle mass plus it prevents hair loss.  Eating meat alternatives such as beans, eggs, skim milk cheeses, Greek yogurt, and tofu are good alternatives.  There are a lot of other protein supplements on the market besides Whey, but most must be ordered online when you live in small town Wyoming.

One little trick that works well is to choose a buddy from your support group to buddy up with to remind each other every day to make sure to get their protein, take their supplements, and write in their food log.  You could even team up with a close friend for the same purpose and offer the friend other reminders of his/her choosing.

The best places to get information, help, and general support is your surgeon, your LOCAL support group or of course the Obesity Help website.  And the best way to keep track of your daily protein intake and supplement therapy is to remember to journal in a food log book of some sort.  Another great indication of adequate protein intake is the Total Protein blood chemistry test that your physician orders annually as part of your surgery follow-up.

Gina Stephens

Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello Wyoming!!
wyo_sarah · 3 replies · 5113 views
Little Bites
pinklowrider · 0 replies · 5710 views
February 20, 2013
pinklowrider · 2 replies · 6260 views
Good Morning Wyoming
pinklowrider · 0 replies · 5637 views