Difference between RNY and Sleeve

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/10 12:07 pm
Can someone tell me the difference please?  Thanks!!
Robert R.
on 10/24/10 12:20 pm
Basically, the gastric sleeve (aka VSG) just removes about 85% of the stomach, is stapled and resealed. Less time under, less risky imo.

RNY (aka "bypass") removes the intestines, replaces them with about a foot of the intestines, and also removes the DS (Duedonal Switch...not sure about spelling) which is like a "valve" located between the stomach and intestines. It's job is to expand and contract as food is digested from the stomach and slowly allow the digested food into the intestines. This switch being removed is what causes the "dumping" syndrome that can happen. There are also issues with vitamin absorbtion with the bypass, since most of the intestines are removed.

I'm not sure how the stomach is made with the bypass, but I "think" they take a pouch from original stomach and remake one.

I chose the VSG for the above reasons. But since it's kind of newer, some insurance still doesn't cover it.

Anyone who has had an RNY feel free to correct, but that's the way my surgeon explained it.

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/24/10 3:33 pm - Mexico
On October 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM Pacific Time, rrose_1968 wrote:
Basically, the gastric sleeve (aka VSG) just removes about 85% of the stomach, is stapled and resealed. Less time under, less risky imo.

RNY (aka "bypass") removes the intestines, replaces them with about a foot of the intestines, and also removes the DS (Duedonal Switch...not sure about spelling) which is like a "valve" located between the stomach and intestines. It's job is to expand and contract as food is digested from the stomach and slowly allow the digested food into the intestines. This switch being removed is what causes the "dumping" syndrome that can happen. There are also issues with vitamin absorbtion with the bypass, since most of the intestines are removed.

I'm not sure how the stomach is made with the bypass, but I "think" they take a pouch from original stomach and remake one.

I chose the VSG for the above reasons. But since it's kind of newer, some insurance still doesn't cover it.

Anyone who has had an RNY feel free to correct, but that's the way my surgeon explained it.

RNY does not remove intestine, it 'bypasses' intestine.  It is totally reversible minus the scarring.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
MsBatt
on 10/25/10 7:34 am
On October 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM Pacific Time, rrose_1968 wrote:

Dude, you REALLY should have done more research. You do not understand the RNY AT ALL. Or the Duodenal Switch, which is a surgical procedure, not a body part. (*grin*)
Robert R.
on 10/25/10 7:56 am
Just because I got the term "pyloric valve" confused with DS doesn't mean I know nothing at all about an RNY. Excuse me for missing a detail of a procedure I elected not to do because of higher risks and more complications. I didn't need to do more research, and I said in the previous post I didn't have an RNY and those who have, please speak up. Once the VSG was explained to me, I forgot RNY details and just tried to answer from memory.

That being said, here's what a quick search finds:

RNY:

www.wlscenter.com/ResearchArticles/rny_article.htm

VSG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw4Qv64GGck

MsBatt
on 10/25/10 8:02 am
No, what you WROTE about the RNY is what means you know nothing at all about it. I suggest that since, in your own words, you "forgot" the RNY details, you not answer questions about it.

I do agree that, between the Sleeve and the RNY, you chose the better procedure.
Binda
on 10/24/10 3:01 pm - CA
www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html this explains the diff between all the surgeries

courtesy of shelly from theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

hope this helps

:)

I have wasted enough of my life worrying about what people think of me.

Johanna !
on 10/24/10 3:02 pm - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
My corrections in purple:

RNY (aka "bypass") removes the intestines,(does not remove intestines.... reroutes a portion of intestines... they stay inside your body) replaces them with about a foot of the intestines(not true), and also removes the DS (Duedonal Switch...not sure about spelling) (Duodenal Switch is a completely different procedure.  what he is talking about is the Pyloric Valve)  which is like a "valve" located between the stomach and intestines. It's job is to expand and contract as food is digested from the stomach and slowly allow the digested food into the intestines. This switch being removed is what causes the "dumping" syndrome that can happen. (dumping is a possible side effect but does not occur in all patients, dumping occurs when too much fat or sugar enters a patients intestines and the body cannot handle that amount at a time, better eating habits can prevent this if you have dumping... i do not have dumping)There are also issues with vitamin absorbtion with the bypass, since most of the intestines are removed. (again intestines are not removed, they are bypassed... vitamin absortion is greatly lessened in RNY and DS)

I'm not sure how the stomach is made with the bypass, but I "think" they take a pouch from original stomach and remake one. (The upper portion of the original stomach is made into a pouch.  The rest of your stomach remains inside your body and continues to produce gastric juices and they meet up with food in the intestines)

I chose the VSG for the above reasons. But since it's kind of newer, some insurance still doesn't cover it.  VSG is basically like the first step in a DS surgery.

Johanna - like Joe-on-uh, or that movie, Juwanna Man!  

liveinphx
on 10/24/10 11:54 pm - Phoenix, AZ
On October 24, 2010 at 7:07 PM Pacific Time, Boomkiss wrote:
Can someone tell me the difference please?  Thanks!!
I see that others did a good job of explaining the difference so I wil just explain why I chose the sleeve over  any of the mlabsorbtive procedures i.e. RNY or the DS (though you did not ask about the DS).
I chose the sleeve because I did not want either of the procedures that involved malabsorbtion.
There are lots of issues/risks that come along with malabsorbtion that for me made me choose the sleeve.
First and foremost was that I did not want to be wedded to having to take multiple doses of several different vitamins and supplements several times daily in order to avoid major health issues. This is more true with the DS but is also true with RNY. Yes I do have to take a multi-vitamin with the sleeve and I have just started back taking calcium but it is not as critical.
There are great results weight loss wise with both procedures and DS folks show stats that say DS has the best outcomes for maintained weight loss and curing diabetes but again, for me risking major health issues in other areas was just not worth the risk in order to be able to malabsorb fat and other calories to have a great chance at weight loss.
With RNY sadly folks lose the malabsorbtion of calories after a few years but keep malabsorbing vitamins/minerals forever.
Also with RNY/DS there are many more folks that have food problems/intolerances. I see posts daily on both boards about foods that caue nasty gas/loose stools or worse. Not everyone has these issues but many do, many more than with the VSG. Again for me, not worth the risk for a better chance of losing more weight or better chance of keeping it off.
I am about 2.5 years post op from the sleeve. I lost 135 lbs in the first 10 mos with the sleeve and have easily maintained that loss since.
I do NOT eat low fat or low calorie. I do not have to diet or deprive myself. I eat full fat mayo and regular cheese. I eat till I am satisfied and am satisfied with normal sized portions of regular food.
Hope this helps
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
daizi55
on 9/14/20 1:08 pm, edited 9/14/20 6:12 am - Trenton, GA

The photo of me was taken 2 weeks before I had surgery on Sept, 25th, 2008. I weighed in at 358, the other photo of me now at 150. I have lost 208 pounds with the RNY, and never, not once had a problem with it. I had a stall in my weight loss from 11/18 thru 02/19 when mama passed. Staying on the road and sitting in a hospital, keeps you in one place and not walking. Before surgery, I did good to walk 50ft. 2 weeks after surgery, I had so much energy I was walking a lot and with in 4 weeks I was up to 2 miles at a time.... I am right at 12 years out, and to this day have NEVER regretted RNY surgery.... I feel it saved my life.....

RNY is the best way to go. My niece had the sleeve surgery and has so many problems....