My daughter just found out she is Pre-Diabetic and is asking for our help....

Lisa_67
on 3/24/11 9:13 pm - Ravenna, OH
My heart is breaking for her....but she is asking for help. She needs websites for sugar free and low sugar recipes. She is also looking into the protein powders. I gave her Viataladys site so she can try samples. I want to help her as much as I can.... I had a feeling this was going to happen to her because diabetes runs on both sides of my family and I was pre-diabetic before my surgery. Thanks for any help you can offer..... She has been trying to get pregnant but she is over 300 pounds and now pre-diabetic. Her doctor said that if she loses some weight and gets her sugar under control, she can get pregnant. She wants a baby so bad. I know she can do this. I am here for her as much as she needs me.
      starting weight...307 Surgery weight..274 Onederland...198 (3/6/10)
 I lost 33 pounds before surgery. My new life has finally began

laura_vermont
on 3/24/11 9:19 pm
There are so many diabetic friendly websites, and maybe she could pick up a used copy of the atkins (or other low carb) recipe book.  Used bookstores usually have a ton.

You don't look like you have a daughter old enough to be trying to get pg!  My oldest is almost 23 and struggles too... she is hoping to get a DS this summer.  It's awful to see them battle weight too.  My other 3 children are slim and I know that it just adds to my oldest dd's frustration.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Lisa_67
on 3/24/11 9:21 pm - Ravenna, OH
Thank you...my daughter will be 25 in July. She'll be married 2 years in May and desprately wants a baby. Her weight has been out of control for the last 4 years. I knopw she is close to 350 pounds.....my heart is breaking for her and I want to help her.

poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 9:30 pm - OH
I am not diabetic but it seems I've read/heard low carb, high protein works well for many people.  Not just limiting sugar, although that too, but all the white starchy stuff.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa_67
on 3/24/11 9:49 pm - Ravenna, OH
I'm passing on a lot of my requirements to her that I have for my surgery....together, her and I are gonna kick this in the butt. My daughter deserves to be healthy and happy, and she wants a baby. I know this won't be easy for her at first, but like us all here, we learned what we had to do, and we are now success stories.....and she will be too!

poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 9:54 pm - OH
For many people, diabetes can be controlled with diet if they are willing to stick to the diet.  I know how hard that can be, though.  I sucked at sticking to a diet before surgery.  But I would think pre-diabetes would be even easier to get under control with diet, if she can do it.  Maybe some sort of support group would help?  And some hospitals have classes on managing diabetes.  My PCPs office even does.  They meet once a month and talk about recipes and diet and other stuff, I forget exactly what since I've never gone.

If having a child is really important to her, hopefully she can stay focused on that goal and that will help her stick to her plan.  I do understand, even when it's important, it's still hard though.

Does she live with you?  Probably not, huh?  But maybe you two could shop and try new recipes and stuff together?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa_67
on 3/24/11 10:13 pm - Ravenna, OH
No, she doesn't live with me, but we do talk quite a bit. I'll suggest a support group. I think one of her problems is..she is home a lot by herself and she sits a lot. Her and her hubby go to college and then she sits at home by herself when he is working. She did just get a new puppy so hopefully she can get out and take her for walks a couple times a day. I told her that once she starts to eat differently, she will feel better and she;ll have more energy....... Thank you for all your advice. I'm gonna send this whole post to her later today, so she can read what everyone has said!

poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 10:18 pm - OH
I'm sure she will feel better and once that happens, it's motivating.  I know when I had surgery and started eating more protein and less sugar, I felt a lot better and that motivated me to stick to the plan.  But it is hard to get started.  Maybe the two of you can come up with a plan to do together and then check in on the phone every evening or something to see how you're both doing.  And maybe plan a reward once you've stuck to it for so many days or weeks.  Like a mother daughter day at the spa or something?

Hey, I want a day at the spa!

Lisa_67
on 3/24/11 10:41 pm - Ravenna, OH
The spa?  Sounds like a great idea!! Thanks!

She just told me that her doctor put her on birth control til she gets this under control......I think that is a great idea. She sems to be very motivated at the moment!

poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 10:44 pm - OH
You know, I really need to start exercising.  Maybe I'll set a goal to exercise three days a week and take myself to the spa if I do it for a month.  Well, get a massage or something.  I'm not that interested in a facial and stuff, I don't think.  But maybe.  A pedicure would be fun.  I've never ever had one.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1371 views