while the weight comes off

on_mels_mind
on 3/24/11 9:42 pm - Canada
this may be a ridiculous question, but is there any type of belly band type of thing to wear following surgery to possibly help tone/firm the tummy while the weight is coming off? i saw someone request something similar on an arts/crafting site before, and i was wondering if there is something available and if it seems to work.
Elizabeth N.
on 3/24/11 10:22 pm - Burlington County, NJ
No. This is an old wives' tale. To build muscle, you need exercise. The skin will not "firm" or "tone" except through time and excellent nutrition, with a hefty dose of good genes thrown in. Otherwise the only "toning" you can get for your skin is reconstructive surgery.
poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 10:34 pm - OH
There are girdle type things to hold the tummy in but it won't firm it up.  The problem is not that your tummy is not firm.  If you are overweight enough to need WLS, you have actually grown a bunch of extra skin and once you grow skin there is just no way to ungrow it.

Kelly

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kim S.
on 3/24/11 11:26 pm - Helena, AL
Nope. 

You can make it LOOK firmer with shapewear, but you cannot fix it with anything but exercise and/or surgery.

I'm 2 years out and have worked out for more than 2 years.  I have incredible abs.....hiding under my gooey extra skin.  I wear Spanx higher power panty when I want to feel firmer in the middle.

Mary Catherine
on 3/24/11 11:40 pm
 In South America many woman and some men wear fajas.  A faja is a rubber garment that compresses the skin the way wearing a tight rubberband around your wrist will dent that area in even when the rubberband is removed.  I have been wearing fajas for years.

They will make you look much smaller even when you are not wearing one.  I wear one for most of the day and sometimes while sleeping. 

Squeem is an excellent brand and can be purchased through the internet from vendors in the United States.

Sarah_Anne
on 3/25/11 12:09 pm
 I agree with the other posters - I don't think it helps to shrink your belly but I find that they really do help smooth out my appearance for clothes.   No more muffin top!
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
Most Active