Stool Softner after 7 days Post-Op & SOFT GELS?

IMSvelte
on 3/23/11 5:22 pm
Surgery one week ago, and I'm still pretty overwhelmed.  I have to prioritize my questions and thoughts here... and guess what?!?  This one wins for this moment in time:  (so much for my former shyness:)

Any suggestions on the best stool softner?

I have on hand:

Milk of Magnesia &
Docusate Sodium (Softgels!)  --
                      Why, oh why, are the things I want to take right now SOFTGELS?

I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN TAKE SOFTGELS YET AT ONE WEEK OUT, POST-OP.  ?!?  I'm afraid to, actually.  And, if I can't, how do I take those Vit D? 

Also, my speed demon Nurse Practioner (the nice, good one is no longer with my surgeon!  What happened to her!?! ) prescribed Vit. D (finally!  After several requests) And, guess what?

My DH picked it up at the pharmacy yesterday and... you guessed it:  SOFTGEL.

I left a message for my NP but I guess she's too bizzy herding the masses through the Pre-Op class and doesn't have time to respond.  Also, I KNOW they are short-staffed now Nurse Angel Heart is gone.  (Sorry!  I'm getting OT!)

Thanks my lovelies!  I'm beyond grateful you are here and that I successfully had my RNY.  I think I'm gonna love it.   

Cheers,
S

albemarlepippin
on 3/23/11 9:51 pm - Scottsville, VA
I've been taking the D.S. soft gels since surgery(1/2011) and doing fine. The soft gel vit. D is probably fine too.
HolliM
on 3/23/11 10:12 pm - Red Bush, KY
The shoft gelcap should be fine, but the Vitamin D should be a powder form, thats what I have heard anyways because we don't absorb it.

Highest Weight 335                      When I came home 330.2
Surgery Weight 321.4                   Current 170
www.myspace.com/hma82

LovemyWLS
on 3/23/11 11:20 pm - Midwest City, OK
Try Miralax it works wonderful and you can add it to your protein shake. 
Ladytazz
on 3/24/11 1:59 am
The vitamin D in softgel is useless to us. It is D2 and we need D3. Depending on how low your D is you may need a higher dose. Vitalady.com has it in 50,000 iu which is what I take. Vitamin D is fat soluable and we don't absorb fat too well any more so we need the dry form. Take back the gels and buy the D3 from vitalady.com
I don't really know about the stool softeners in gelcaps. I have been taking them since newly post op, too, and they don't seem that effective but that is my opinion. Like it was said, Miralax (or generic) works good and is safe to take daily. I take it every day and just found out my insurance pays for it. I wish I had known that months ago before I spend $15 a bottle for it. My surgeon also said milk of magnesia is safe to take daily, too.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 3/24/11 2:09 am - Belleville, IL
My surgeon told me the  DSodium softgels are fine! (Just make sure they are softners and NOT the stimulant ones) I take 2 every day (started about a month post op) and have never had any constipation problems... On the rare occasion I did, a little Miralax or Milk Of Magnesia or watered down prune juice did wonders.

Good luck!
PS: Yogurt or probiotic capsules work wonders as well... They do for me anyway. If you are lactose intolerant or just hate yogurt you can get beneficial bacteria in capsule form. Take 1 every 3 days.

Warmly,
Jackie

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1247 views