Ever had armchair issues?

hercules411
on 3/26/11 9:36 am

After our workout today at the gym, I sat down to wait for my wife to come out of the locker room. Just before sitting down, I had a flash of memory as I plopped down into a flimsy aluminum armchair.  In that split second, I remembered when even the sight of a chair with arms on it would fill me with fear and anger.  I used to be afraid that at 500 pounds, I would perhaps not fit my girth between the arms of the chair, or that my weight would crush the legs of the chair. I would become angry that a business would buy chairs that wouldn't carry big people. Back then, I was so happy to find doctor's offices that had extra wide chairs so I didn't have to stand up in the waiting room. 

I am grateful for small, but daily reminders like armchairs to help me remember where I came from.  But it also makes me aware of my fellow sufferers of obesity who still live with those fears every day. 

I am thankful that I had finally had the courage to undergo weight loss surgery.  Life is so much better.

Max wt. 500+  WLS workshop  4/6/09 440 Surgery  9/21/09  324   9/21/10  218
Save $4 on Obesity Help magazine subscription using promo code: HERCULES
www.obesityhelp.com/store/action,addtocart/itemId,1/pcode, hercules /

heidinsd
on 3/26/11 11:07 am - Poway, CA
I still freak out wondering if Im going to fit or not. Im sure its because my mind still hasnt caught up to the fact that I am almost half the person I use to be!!!

I love my tool!!!!
Cynthia Snyder
on 3/26/11 11:12 am - Butler, IN
Bless your heart for sharing....it reminded me of my "before" WLS days also! Yes, each of our recliners are broke (we need to get new ones :-) ) because of my 450+ weight...several toilet seats broken...having to sit on end tables in doctor's offices because no chair was wide enough for me...the list goes on. Thank God those days are over and I rejoice in every day I now am LIVING!!!
Thank you so much for sharing! God bless!
Cindy
msromagnola
on 3/26/11 11:41 am
It feels like freedom.

MSROMAGNOLA
The Incredible
Shrinking Woman

on 3/26/11 11:58 am - NY
I grew up watching slasher/horror movies like halloween, friday the 13th but the biggest fears in my life?

restaurant booths, chairs with arms, airline seats, stadium seats, amusement park rides (yes, had some guy try unsuccessfully for one minute to get the bar down  on my huge stomach and had to get off the ride with my tail between my legs when I didn't fit and let us not forget those
turntable contraption things that you need to go through at stadiums, etc.  

Nancy
"Learn from Yesterday.  Live for Today.  Hope for Tomorrow" - Albet Einstein

Life_is_good
on 3/26/11 1:26 pm
Yes!   I hear you over and over again!  It was a nightmare!!!  I LOVE not having to worry now but yes, I still have the residual worry I won't fit.  Then I have a great laugh at myself cause I know I will. 

jimbovsg
on 3/26/11 2:26 pm
 From one former "big"  boy to another.......I can relate!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

acowandabean
on 3/27/11 5:32 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 08/02/10 with
I am 8 months out and down 150 lbs and I still look at arm chairs and get a momentary panic. I was shopping for patio chairs the other day and kept thinking, "I can't buy that. It has arms" or "I can't buy that it is too flimsy." Then I try them and they are comfortable and sturdy.

This is also an issue I give my surgeon **** for all the time. Most of that practice is WLS and the chairs in the waiting room and the exam room have arms. WTF!
Every dinner needs a side dish, on a slightly smaller plate. - Book of Mormon (The Musical)

Starting weight: 354    Surgery weight: 322     Current weight: 183  

Crystal W.
on 3/27/11 10:13 am - PA
Thanks for that story Hercules...   I'm now Super obese, but my first issue with chairs was when I was morbidly obese, and I cried when I could no longer fit in chairs.   That's when I realized I was no longer average and my weight was getting serious.  Basically I was in denial for quite some time, and it took one of those plastic chaires to collaspe underneath me to realize I'm in big trouble.  NO *****INTENDED

The wonderful thing now is having my VSG and loving the small changes that I see everyday.  Also to see the wonderful people like yourself go through the same issues I went through and now you are living the healthy life I so desire to be one day.

Herc keep up these great stories I love them and appreciate them. 

http://swords.cc/ohcc/oh_card.html               
leesasanders
on 3/27/11 10:16 am - NV
It's funny you brought that up. I have lost 102 lbs and am now a size 14/16 and still at times think I'm huge I will pull a chair out way to far or look at a booth in a restaurant and think will I fit?

Most Active