I just noticed a "no mask" cpap option...

Elizabeth N.
on 3/29/11 10:38 am - Burlington County, NJ
I haven't used this and would have to talk to my dentist about it to see if he'd be cool with my using it (it involves a "boil and bite" mouthpiece), but I'm intrigued. www.nomask.com Has anybody tried this gadget?
NIXMOMMIE
on 3/29/11 11:42 am - NC
It's a boil and bite type mask/non mask.  I have  PT who has had a stroke and he could benifit fron this.  He has dexterity issues since the stroke and has major issues being compliant with CPAP due to the straps.  I will pass this info on to him.
Elizabeth N.
on 3/29/11 12:19 pm - Burlington County, NJ
It looks like it could be a great idea, especially for people who tend to tense their jaws when they sleep anyway.
ktharp89
on 3/29/11 12:33 pm - Gaithersburg, MD
I am going to find out if I can use this. I hate hate hate my cpap machine and havent used it since I had surgery and I know I need too. It actually makes me nauseous.

Thanks for the info!

Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Elizabeth N.
on 3/29/11 12:51 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I think it has potential. I currently use a thing called Nasal Aire. It's like an oxygen canula on steroids. I have a nasty situation with the bridge of my nose--got a sore while in the hospital for my DS because a nurse mashed the mask onto my face over my oxygen canula. She couldn't be bothered to order up a spacer device to bleed the oxygen directly into the mask *grrrr*. As a result, I've had a lovely ulceration on my nose a bunch of times in the past four years. Regular nasal masks open it right back up.

The Nasal Aire has annoying headgear, but at least I'm not ruining my face more every night. This gadget looks like something I might use pretty well. Maybe my supplier has them around to see in person.
callmeEJ
on 3/30/11 3:45 am - Minneapolis, MN
I think it depends on how severe your sleep apnea is. My dad tried to get one of the MAD training devices, but his sleep apnea is pretty severe. So his doc said no dice, he needs the CPAP. If yours is mild or moderate, it may be a better option for you.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
Elizabeth N.
on 3/30/11 5:52 am - Burlington County, NJ
This *is* a CPAP option. It involves nasal pillows held in place with a mouthpiece instead of a headgear. No mask does not mean no CPAP.
callmeEJ
on 3/31/11 10:27 am - Minneapolis, MN
Ah, I see. I thought you may have been referring to the mandibular advancement devices that are sometimes used to treat sleep apnea. 
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
Elizabeth N.
on 3/31/11 10:29 am - Burlington County, NJ
Nah. Those don't work for very many people. My apnea is due to issues further down the airway anyhow, so the CPAP is a lifesaver. But I have some really obnoxious mask issues. If I use a regular nasal mask, I have an open wound in two days tops, and the damned thing can take months to heal. It's changed the shape of my face and the whole nine yards.
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1545 views