abdominal pain!

Lianne C.
on 3/31/11 7:06 am - Garden City, MI
I am just wondering if anyone has had a problem with lower abdominal pain after eating. I am 2 years post op RNY and I get pains it is comparable to a gas pain, but a lot worse and I don't pass anything. Plus the pain goes away after a while. I just started having this the past couple weeks. I have never dumped, but is it possible that I am dumping off of everything? It just happens no matter what I eat.
Also I am asking because if it is just something that will pass, I want to try not to go to my surgeon since I do not have insurance anymore and cannot afford to just walk in and have test done, because my husband lost his job over a year and a half ago and has not been able to find work since.

Thanks
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Susan S.
on 3/31/11 7:16 am - Roselle, NJ
It doesn't sound like dumping - which is an insulin surge which can result in cramping and diarrhea but isn't characterized by pain - particulalry lower ab. The concern is we are at higher risk for small bowel obstruction as a result of our surgery and this kind of pain could indicate there is something structural that needs to be assessed. If it's bad enough that you posted to ask - it's bad enough to have evaluated. An acute episode that lands you in the ER will be far more costly. If you don't want to consult your surgeon - see your PCP. Pain is an indication of something wrong. Pain every time you eat needs to be addressed. Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Lianne C.
on 3/31/11 7:30 am - Garden City, MI
Thank you! I had a thought about the small bowel thing, but I was not sure if it was a possibility because I am having regular BM's, which I also knew that there was a thing that a lot of RNY patients do not. Like I said I am not a dumper, so I did not know what to look for.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
christinainseattle
on 3/31/11 7:28 am
You said you don't have insurance, but definitely check into the various resources your community might offer. Check out this, too, and see if it helps: http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Search_HCC.aspx Also just Google free health care clinics in your state/city.

Obviously, with so many people needing these services it might be difficult to find something. But don't forget that you cannot be denied care because you have no coverage. Unfortunately what happens in this country is that people wait too long and end up in the ER, which costs more overall that preventative care would have. I say unfortunately because obviously the system is SO messed up.

I could go on and on but don't mean to make this a diatribe. Just remember you don't have to deny yourself care because you have no insurance.

Good luck!
christinainseattle
on 3/31/11 7:31 am
Also, if you DO end up in the ER and are unable to pay, there's a good chance the hospital will write it off. A lot of them have funds established specifically for this purpose. I know this is a generalization especially in these times, but it's also what happened to me last year. I accumulated $1,500 in medical expenses from ER trips. I called the billing office, which directed me to an application to apply for help. My debt eventually was wiped out by one of these funds.
faaatygirl
on 3/31/11 9:28 am - NJ
sorry for your pain,,,see this is a concern that I have..I have medicaid for now but what if years after my surgery I have an obstructed bowel but no longer have medicaid? then what Im getting scared...I dont have my date yet for rny but its coming soon...I may back out and get the lapband...smh
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1271 views