Nervous

ttny007
on 3/30/11 7:56 pm - NC
Adjustable Gastric Band on 06/10/11
I got all the pretesting done and Monday I meet with the surgeon to finalize everything and set the date.  Im nervous and scared.  I have been overweight my whole life and I have many health issues.  I know it will be work and Im not afraid of that I guess it's the unknown.  I am getting the realize band, what are the opinions on that band? My husband is a professional chef so food is always center stage here.  The nutritionist made it sound that most of my day will be spent sipping water and trying to get all the protein in.  Oh and I can't eat meat (allegry) I eat only fish and eggs and cheese.  I guess I just need to be reassured I can do this and that I am not falling for a great sales pitch.
lee12197
on 3/30/11 11:46 pm
RNY on 02/28/11 with
Im sure its not exactly the same with rny as it is with the band but the first few days prolly will be spent sipping water and gettin protein in. At first it was pretty hard for me to get 64 ozs in. I was a month out on the 28th and i now get at least 100 ozs a day! and its second nature and doesnt consume all of my day! im still working on protein but am gettin about 40gs a day and upping it constantly...food being center stage is going to have to change a lil bit tho...what my dr told me was since your going to be eating so little buy gourmet food that way even tho its not a lot its the best food and your satisfied. I find that i have to remind myself to eat...im just not hungry and dont think about it anymore...food used to be on my mind all the time! Since your husband is a chef maybe he could make you some of the stuff on bariatricfoodie or theworldaccordingtoeggface they both have some seriously yummi looking stuff that is sooo good for us!

Elizabeth N.
on 3/30/11 11:47 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Don't get a band. Bands have the worst statistics of any of the current WLS procedures. This is especially true if you are larger and if you have health issues. Bands have the lowest weight loss maintenance rate and the highest reoperation rates of any of the bariatric procedures.

Please back off and learn more about all your options and how they can be realistically applied to your life.

Yes, you are falling for a sales pitch. And yes, with ANY surgery, you will have to learn how to get your water and protein in with significant restriction on your intake. And I do mean LOTS of restriction.

I'm very glad you posted. It's time to slow down and learn more about what you're getting into. I'm sorry this would mean canceling or rescheduling your surgery, but it's absolutely vital to think twice and cut ONCE.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 3/30/11 11:57 pm, edited 3/30/11 11:58 pm - Tuvalu

Go to the Revision board and see how many people with bands are trying to get rid of them...then go the RnY and DS boards and simply ask how many people there USED TO have a band.  (The brand doesn't matter, they all work...or really, DON'T work...the same way.)

And you didn't mention your BMI but did your doctor mention that the band is essentially worthless for most people with higher BMIs?

Volume 5, Issue 3, Pages 310-316 (May 2009)

View previous. 8 of 29 View next.

Failure of adjustable gastric banding: starting BMI of 46 kg/m2 is a fulcrum of success and failure

Brad Snyder, M.D., Terry Scarborough, M.D., Sherman Yu, M.D., Erik Wilson, M.D.

Received 13 May 2008; received in revised form 29 August 2008; accepted 22 September 2008. published online 08 October 2008.

Abstract 

Background

To determine the body mass index (BMI) located at the fulcrum of success and failure in a prospective study conducted at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. On average, our patients whose percentage of excess weight loss (%EWL) was >50% at 1 year had a significantly lower BMI than those with <30% EWL.

Methods

We prospectively collected the weight loss data for 430 patients who had had an adjustable gastric band placed. We stratified the %EWL within 1 year for patients with a BMI of 30–59 kg/m2. A line was generated for the %EWL over time for BMI groups of 30–39, 40–49, and 50–59 kg/m2 and compared with the average %EWL over time. The y-intercepts of the resulting four lines were graphed against the average BMI for each group.

Results

The generated y-intercept line had an R2 of .9237. Using the equation of this line and the known y-intercept for the average, we solved for x, resulting in a BMI of 46 kg/m2. Patients with a BMI <46 kg/m2 had a 50% EWL at 1 year, and those with a BMI >46 kg/m2 had only a 33% EWL at 1 year. The %EWL between the groups was significantly different at all measured intervals (P <.0001).

Conclusion

A BMI of 46 kg/m2 identifies those at high risk of failure to lose a significant percentage of excess weight after adjustable gastric banding and *****quire closer follow-up. Furthermore, patients who have a BMI >46 kg/m2 should be advised that their weight loss might be suboptimal at 1 year.

KeywordsBariatric surgery, Adjustable gastric band, Body mass index, BMI, Excess weight loss

MsBatt
on 3/31/11 3:50 am
If you have truly been overweight your whole life, the Band is NOT the form of WLS you need. Have you researched all your other options? (Sleeve, RNY, DS.)

What are your health issues? You really need to understand how each form of WLS will affect.be affected by the form of WLS you choose.
weavestylist
on 3/31/11 4:05 am - OH
I agree with the other bloggers you really need to do more research I to have been overweight almost my entire life I have a blood clotting disorder and I am diabetic also I'm not sure what your health problems consist of but I originally wanted to get the band when I went for my original consultation I was told that they could do the band but I wouldn't get the results that I was looking for since I wanted to loose an entire person I know people who have had the band and at first they were successful but now they are at a stand still and have been for quite some time  Another person I know who had the lap band has gained all the weight back while this can be said for any wls surgery you really should consider all of your options this is a major commitment it has to be a life style change I wish you luck with whatever your decision is
jaynedinsane
on 3/31/11 8:15 am - canton, oh
 hey there!!!!  the date has finally came huh?? that is awesome... i just had surgery on 3-23-11 yep last wednesday!!! had the gastric... Im sure you will do fine... trust me everyone was nervous & excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>>> but we are starting  a brand new beginning!!!!  brand new life!!!!!!!  you will be fine >>keep us updated... im new to all this too!!!! xoxoxo  jayne
ttny007
on 3/31/11 8:41 am - NC
Adjustable Gastric Band on 06/10/11
Thanks for the encouragement. There are so many opinions do it don't do it, do the band no do the gastric.  I am going back to my regular dr. tomorrow who has been very supportive and then monday back to the surgeon to go over all my options again.  I will keep you posted.  How are you doing?  any surprises (I hate surprises lol)?  I heard the inperson support groups are also very good.

Theresa