Can someone walk me through what will happen at the hospital?

charlotte180
on 4/1/11 3:35 pm - Phoenix, AZ
 I'm getting my surgery on Monday 4/4 at 12:30 pm. I'm getting nervous about it. I'd feel better if I knew what to expect when I get to the hospital but before the surgery. They told me to get there 2 hours before the surgery.

Like, do they "prep" your abdomen while you're still awake? Will they give me general anesthesia via IV or mask/gas?  I'm not even sure where to go in - just regular "admissions" I guess? Will they have me wait in a waiting room or take me to a prep area? 

I'm just really anxious. I have a friend from my hometown whom I talked to a few nights ago. Turns out she had WLS two years ago and nearly died twice! 

For some reason, I feel like knowing what to expect would feel reassuring.

Thanks
Mary Catherine
on 4/1/11 3:52 pm
 I think they took me directly to the room where I was going to stay, had me undress and put on a gown. They filled out some paperwork and the surgeon and the anesthesiologist came in to talk.

Then they put in an IV and I waited until someone came and wheeled me to surgery.

Surgery for me ended about 4:00 PM.  I was taken back to my room and very sleepy.   At about 2:00 AM, the nurse had me get up and take a walk.  There was no food or drink for two days, only ice chips. I was told to walk as much as possible.

After two days they took me to an x-ray area and had me drink something to test my pouch for leaks.  After that test was passed, they took me back to my room and I got a tray of liquid diet.  Broth and jello.  Shortly after that I went home.
Ladytazz
on 4/1/11 3:57 pm
I would guess that all hospitals might have their own way of doing things. What I remember is that I went to admissions at 5:30 am. Actually I got there early because my boyfriend had to get to work so I was there at 5:00 and the door was locked so I waited for someone to open the door. After I got in I had to wait for someone to get to admissions at 5:30. Several other patients had shown up by then. They called my name and checked me in then I had to wait some more. I was called into someone's office and I had to sign a paper saying that if my insurance didn't pay I would agree to pay the cost which would be approx $47,000.00. At that point I would have signed away my firstborn. There is no way I could come up with $47,000.00 but I figured what was the worse that could happen? They would repossess my surgery?
After more waiting I was called back and given a gown to change into. I had the IV put in and at some point I believe someone asked me if I needed something to relax me. They didn't have to ask twice. From there on out it is pretty fuzzy. I remember being told that things were running late and I would have to wait a while but I didn't care at that point. Next thing I remember was kind of waking up. I wasn't in any pain at all, just a little discomfort. I had my surgery open. The first night is kind of a blank to tell you the truth. I slept a lot and spoke with my kids and my boyfriend.
That is about all I remember.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Susan Kafuko
on 4/1/11 4:07 pm - Charlotte , NC
Well hun I was the same way. Very anxious. They told me to be there like 2 hrs before also but it was really just for paper wrk and a lot of questions that I felt they already knew? Then they have the ppl from anaesthesia come in and talk with you.  They made me feel really calm, they explained how they wld be with me at all times checking all my vital signs. They gave me IV meds to knock off the edge, then they told me to count back starting at 100. I only got to 97, then I cld here them saying "Wake up we are done". I mean it was like magic. LOL.
I asked my husband how long did it take and he said like 2 almost 3 hrs but to me it was like mins. 
Trust me hun, you will be fine.....BTW they did tell me that they wld use the mask after the IV but I never remember that part. 
I pray all goes well!!!! 
I wld do it all over again:-) 
charlotte180
on 4/1/11 6:43 pm - Phoenix, AZ
 Thanks ladies. It sounds pretty straightforward - just get you in & done!  Wow, if they offer me "something to take the edge off" I'll definitely jump at the chance. I can't even imagine how nervous I'll be Monday morning. I don't know why, but I almost feel like I want to cry.
Gloria-Caryl
on 4/2/11 12:09 am
   Oh my go****hink you are so lucky to be getting it all done so you can be on your way to free dom. I'm still going through all the requirements and it seems like it's taking forever. I can hardly wait for my turn. I am so miserable and so  tired of carrying around two more people. Just think , your almost there! Im from Globe,Az. hope we can stay in touch.
Amy R.
on 4/2/11 12:32 am
lol - you beat me Elizabeth - !!!  I clicked on this topic expecting to write "Elizabeth once posted an awesome thread on this for first time surgery patients - I'm gonna go find her..."

But you were already here!!!!   And I thought I was up early today  =)
unewillow
on 4/2/11 2:56 am - CT
Every hospital is a little different, but here's how my morning went...

I had to be at the hospital by 6am, my surgery was scheduled for 7:30am. My hospital has a specific pre-op waiting room area that you check in at and they make sure your registration information is correct and get your ID band put on. Then they brought me back to the pre-op area and had me change into a gown and give a urine sample (to make sure you aren't pregnant).

My nurse came in and went over my health information and weighed me. Then she put in my IV and drew my pre-op lab work. After that the CRNA and anesthesiologist came in to discuss the general anesthesia with me and what I wanted for post-op pain control since I didn't want Morphine. Once they were done my surgeon came in and made sure I didn't have any last minute questions. Before I knew it they were wheeling me back to the OR.

They had me scoot over to the OR table and got me positioned on there correctly and then put the Venodyne boots on me (compression boots to help prevent blood clots). The circulating nurse did a "time out" and double checked my name, birthdate, and procedure I was having. Then the CRNA gave me some Versed (anti-anxiety with an amnesia effect) and I don't remember anything after that until I really "woke up" in my room afterwards.

Tracy M.
on 4/2/11 3:57 am - KY
I wasn't nervous about my surgery. I had many surgeries in the past so i was used to it. When I got to the hospital I had to wait for a bit but then they came and took me to the surgery area. I was taken back to the holding area where I got undressed and put on my gown. then the fun started..lol They started the IV and due to my obstructive sleep apnea I had to be awake while they inserted the breathing tube..(not as bad as it sounds). They number my throat and sedated me and was doing what they had to do. Then they took me into surgery and got me situated on the table. Then anesthesiologist put in the breathing tube and the last thing I remember is him telling me to breathe deep and I was out. The next thing I remember was the nurses waking me up in recovery about 3 hours later...That's the only real pain I remember through the whole process but once I got the meds going I was fine. They gave me dilaudid for pain for the first 2 days and then I went to liquid lortab and I'm pretty much healed up now. I am still a little sore but no real pain at all. If I hurt a little I take some lortab and it's gone. My main problem now is I am soooo tired. I haven't had any "what have I done to myself" moments yet and doubt I ever will. This has all been a pretty smooth process for me.

Tracy

Highest known weight- 512
Surgery weight-425
Current Weight- 260

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1402 views