WLS and Dental Health: Studies, Anyone?

Whacka Doodle
on 4/9/11 8:09 am
Over the years, I have noticed intermittent posts from folks saying that they had gone into WLS obese, but with great teeth -- and then all of a sudden, after WLS their teeth are deteriorating and even falling out.

I have been unable to find any studies evaluating this situation, and it does not seem to be widespread, but neither does there seem to be anybody researching it, which is a great concern.

My dentist (and other dentists) have confirmed that the calcium in the enamel of our teeth is extremely stable, and not by itself prone to much change after erupting, regardless of dietary calcium.      So I'm wondering what other variables are likely at play.

My thoughts of possibilities are:

1)  vomiting?
2)  dry mouth from dehydration, leading to funky bacteria levels?
3)  clenching of teeth leading to their cracking?
4)  not likely, but calcium deficiency?  (I'm not saying calcium deficiency is unlikely, just that it's not likely to impact existing teeth)

I know, for instance, that meth addicts tend to lose their teeth, beyond what poor hygiene would cause.  Obviously there are significant health factors at issue but they don't seem to be well established.  -- So ...

Can anybody find research on THIS specific issue?  Is any being done?  Is it something we, as a community, need to ask for help with?  It just seems to ill defined.

Lisa

Interested in low-carb nutrition?  Thinking of trying Atkins? Want to try high-fat and/or high-protein eating?  Whether or not you have had (or are thinking about) WLS   http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/atkins/   

severman
on 4/9/11 11:23 am - Indianapolis, IN
 Let me know if anyone finds any.  I would be curious as to the findings because I had healthy teeth pre op and lost mine at about 6 years post op.  My dentist said that he could keep fixing them, but if I didn't stop throwing up that it wouldn't do much good.  So after a very long and hard thought, I had them pulled and now have a full set of dentures at the age of 35.  

Stephanie E
Whacka Doodle
on 4/9/11 12:16 pm
Stephanie I'm so sorry.  He linked the tooth loss to your vomiting -- Why were you vomiting?  Couldn't that be addressed?

In your case, the underlying cause clearly was vomitus -- Is that what the dentist said?  Did the surgeon know?  Do you still vomit?

Interested in low-carb nutrition?  Thinking of trying Atkins? Want to try high-fat and/or high-protein eating?  Whether or not you have had (or are thinking about) WLS   http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/atkins/   

mollypitcher08
on 4/10/11 10:07 am
Lisa: thanks for the post on this very interesting topic.  I , too, am curious as to any information/studies as I am 2-1/2 years post rny and my teeth are deteriorating faster than I would like.  I have all of a sudden developed all of these cavities.  I currently have at least 5 to be filled and fixed.  I had gingivitis develop and it just seemed odd to me.  My teeth have always been one of my strong points, not many cavaties, very little tartar when then were cleaned, etc. etc.  Now in all fairness  I am not faithful with my 6 mo or yearly checkups, either  but still it did seem to me once I started up again with dental care that my teeth really seemed to be going downhill fast.  I also think the dry mouth aspect  which I seem to have alot of lately, might contribute but thanks for the post and I hope someone finds or contributes some info on this. Mary
Most Active