"Anemia of Chronic Disease" ???

Bette B.
on 4/12/11 4:20 am
 I've had this for 5 or 6 years, and it's not WLS-related. What it means is that I'm anemic (low hematocrit, if memory serves me correctly), but my hematologist can't find what's causing it. He's done more tests than I can count, including a bone-marrow biopsy (FUN!) and has ruled out all the usual bad stuff. He says that unless my numbers, which have been low, but static over time, take a nose dive, it's nothing to worry about.

Anyone have it, had it, or have any experience with it?

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

NIXMOMMIE
on 4/12/11 5:10 am - NC
same here, but i refused the bone marrow test. i have been gettin iron infusions. make u feel like a million bucks for about 4 and a half months, then at 6 months get another. but at my pre op hemo appt, everything was good. no infusion. i am having a hard time with the vitamins so i do not doubt that at my next visit i will not be so lucky. good luck to you

Bette B.
on 4/12/11 1:10 pm
 I asked about infusions and taking iron tabs, etc., but my hema guy said they wouldn't help in my case.

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/11 10:35 pm
How's your liver?  Decreased Hematocrit can be caused by liver problems.  Also, Hematocrit can be reduced in smokers (do you smoke?).  Infection, malignancy and pancreatitis are additional possibilities, but it's far less likely that this is the cause, considering those would be easier to find.

By the way, I am loving your new avatar.
Bette B.
on 4/12/11 11:05 pm
 How's your liver?

Delicious, especially with bacon and onions. 

But seriously. Between all the tests he and my PCP have run, they've found nothing. And I don't smoke. Well, no cigarettes, anyway. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/11 11:12 pm
*snickerfits*

I ask because if the liver goes, sometimes its lab values will return to normal after the damage is done, so imaging is sometimes necessary to assess if there's any damage. 

...and bacon?  Bite your tongue!  I thought we DSers had exclusive rights to bacon references on this board!
(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 6:29 am
Have you been checked as a carrier for thalassemia?  My family is of Mediterranean descent and my brother always  tests anemic.  He is not anemic.  Finally the doctor did some research and further testing.  This solved the problem.
Most Active