iron

Anita Jo
on 4/12/11 3:35 am - Elmira, NY
 hi all,
the nurse just called me and my blood work is done and my iron levels are at 12. now what?

anita
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/12/11 3:44 am
not sure what is that? what iron leves? what is normal?
how is your hemoglobin, or RBC or Ferritin?
What about other tests?
You should ask for copy of your lab results and review it yourself... or post it (all of it) here and let some people look at it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Anita Jo
on 4/12/11 4:36 am - Elmira, NY
 i dont know what the iron levels should be at. 
all the nurse told me was my iron was at 12. i am sure everything else is low too.
i will ask for my lap slip. thanks. i hope they dont put me in the hospital. they wont. right??
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/12/11 4:44 am
no, they should not. Worse case - you may need iron infusions. But you need all your labs to see what is going on beside that.
i.e. my doc only test ferritin and my ferrit were 11.. "normal level was 10-260...lol. At that level - 11 even though my other numbers were OK I had a lot of symptoms of iron deficiencies. But then ... I was not taking a lot of iron (if any) since it really bothered me (cramps, constipation, pain...etc). And since I was menopousal - I did not think I needed that much anyway.. )
I am now on good - easy to absorb iron ...  but it cost a lot. (relatively). I would like my ferritins to be more than 50... and I will find how my iron taking is working in a few months.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

angilfires
on 4/12/11 7:12 am - lakeside, CA
Hala,

What iron supplement are you taking?  I recently had an iron infusion and I am taking 120mg of bariatric advantage's chewable iron but I am curious about what kind you are taking.  I am trying to find the "right" combination of suppliments so I am very interested in the brand/mgs you are taking daily.  Thanks in advance.

: )  Angil

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/12/11 7:54 am
I take Proferrin ES. It is a heme iron. It is expensive (relatively) but it can be taken any time - even with calcium. 
in 2 months my numbers (ferritin) went from 11 to 18... so I hope by now it should be much better.
Heme iron is differently absorbed than other irons. And it doe snot cause pain, cramps or constipation (all I had with the other iron).

I get them from the manufacturer or Vitalady.   I usually take 2-3 pills of that a day - to bring my numbers up. Once I verify that my ferritin is OK - I can take one a day.
Bio-labs makes them.

Most Active