blood glucose of 43

Toobcherished
on 4/13/11 9:25 am - Henrico, VA
I posted this on RNY board as well.....

Some of you may remember last week I posted that my Dr. called to alert me that my blood glucose was 65.  I told her I had no symptoms and felt fine.  She prescribed a blood glucose meter and told me to test.   Finally after some probing I got the Dr. to agree that I need to see a Endocronoligist.  Problem now is that  noone can see me till late may.  So far my readings have been fairly good, most below 100 but acceptable.  Until today the lowest was a 69 and the average was 99.  Well today I was out running around and ate a cheeseburger with no bun, and a couple spoonfuls of a baked potatoe.  I know it was carbs but its the only carb I had today!  Breakfast was a boiled egg and bacon and a cup of coffee with splenda.  When I got back to the office I felt shaky (atleast I had warning this time) and decided to test my blood sugar levels.  Low and behold my bg was 43!  I put a call to the doc and she told me to eat something lol.  I asked if there was a way to get into the doc sooner and they said they would check for me.  Do you ladies think I need to be doing anything else until I can get into the Endo, my primary care isnt much help as you can tell lol?  Should I just stick to eating protein and complex carbs until I get in.  I am so confused..... 

After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.
1 Peter 5:10

wonkad
on 4/13/11 9:36 am - IL
Small meals throughout the day should help. Never skip a meal.

Hope you get to see the endo soon.

shock.gif

**Weight loss since June 08**

Susan S.
on 4/13/11 10:32 am - Roselle, NJ
Keep testing. Make sure you have an adequate blood drop - as a very low reading can ******ror. I don't doubt you're dipping low but that low might well be a testing error. I would test an hour after every feeding and log the food as well to chart a good pattern. Of course test whenever you feel it coming. With that kind of data you might be able to be seen more quickly....but the deal will be learning to eat to control it. I'm strugglng a bit with RH as well and my dips are not predictable (if I was eating a cookie I would understand but I tend to crash from milk sugars like in yogurt. Keep testing....keep a careful log. Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Toobcherished
on 4/13/11 11:32 am - Henrico, VA
The log idea is a good one.  I will do that!  I am limited to how much I have been testing.  Insurance approved me testing twice a day.     I am not sure how much I can test with the insurance company not agreeing to pay there portion.   I asked pc doc to please contact the endo and see if they will bump me.  Still have heard nothing.  I agree if I had ate cookies I would understand.  I had a baked potato lol.  Tonight I ate some beef and a cup of bean soup.  I too dump on milk sugars.  I cant eat cereal because the milk 2% makes my sugars crash.  I can only do a small bit of cream or either I use sugar free creamer when I can find it.  Sometimes though I can have a few spoonfuls of icecream as a treat and be completly fine.  I just need to figure this out, and I appreciate your advice Susan!

After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.

4EvaMil
on 4/13/11 4:56 pm - Buffalo , NY
Try checking online for your glucometer's website sometimes they offer free testing supplies, maybe that will help you out somewhat when it comes to your testing strips. Hang in there!
*~4EvaMil~*
Diminishing Dawn
on 4/16/11 3:13 am - Windsor, Canada
You are more than likely experiencing reactive hypoglycemia. 

I agree if I had ate cookies I would understand.  I had a baked potato lol.

A potato is one of the highest foods on the glycemic index. If you are diabetic or have RH, it will send your blood sugars off.  Most foods are rated on a scale up to 100 and a potato (white) is around 87 or so.  You need to start reading labels more closely, pairing food groups, graze so that blood sugars remain constant and study this:

http://www.glycemicindex.ca/glycemicindexfoods.pdf

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

gigi33
on 4/13/11 10:32 am - Converse, TX
Try to eat something every 2-3 hours (protein and complex carb). That should help keep your sugar stable. How much exercising are you doing? You may need to cut back on the amount of time and/or the intensity. (exercise can bring sown your blood sugar). If you can tolerate it, always keep some hard candy or glucose tablets with you.  You might want to shop around for anther enocrinologist that can maybe see you sooner.
Friends are   who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.      
Toobcherished
on 4/13/11 11:36 am - Henrico, VA
I have not excercised alot lately but since it is warming I planned to ramp it up with some brisk walks around the neighborhood.  Yesterday I was out running alot of errands which required me to do quite a bit of walking but thats about it.  I have blood glucose tabs on hand and thats whaqt I used today to bring my levels up quickly.  I know that its better to have peanut butter crackes etc but didnt have any on hand at the time!  I will try to eat more often if I can!  Thank so much!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1466 views