skin tags?

vervetoloose
on 4/13/11 3:45 am
Just as with Elizabeth, mine got smaller but didn't go away. They are often associated with insulin resistence as mentioned so I attribute the shrinkage to no longer having that condition.

" Oh you who love clear edges more than anything...........watch the edges that blurr."

Mary Catherine
on 4/13/11 3:45 am
Whitney J.
on 4/13/11 4:06 am - CA
 I've done a lot of research on these and they come from friction as stated above.I have paid to have them removed 2 different times and now I do them myself. If they have a larger base you tie them off with thread and then clip them off when they are close to falling off. The smaller ones I cut off with the small scissors that are curved. Most only feel like a little pinch and may bleed a little. I clip them when they are small so they don't get a chance to get bigger.
tphillipslaw
on 4/14/11 1:10 am
RNY on 01/12/09 with
My boyfriend had a skin tag on his back and he did exactly what you have suggested above (tie it off).  After a week or so, the skin tag just fell off.  He didn't have to cut it or anything.  Great advice!!  He learned about the suggestion off of Dr. Oz.
beatrice00
on 4/13/11 5:16 am - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
Skin tags have to be removed because they will not shrink and disappear. Your regular PC doctor can take them off in the office and insurance will pay for them. Just tell him that you noticed them growing and he'll submit everything to the insurance. Good luck.

dommiepa
on 4/13/11 5:40 am - Towanda, PA
My doctor showed me how to clip them off myself and save the doctor fee.  You alcohol the tag, and the nail scissor/nail clippers, then clip it off as close as possible.  Then apply antibacterial ointment and cover with a bandaid.

Another way is to tie dental floss tightly around it til it dies, then clip it.

I have dealt with skin tags for many years.  I got tired of paying to do what I could, so I asked my doctor and he showed me and told me what to do.

Yvonne.    To thine own self be true.     hw 432/ sw 352/ cw196.8/gw 200  RNY 8/11/10 Corsettrunkplasty & thigh lipo 5/16/2012.

Gloria-Caryl
on 4/13/11 8:02 am
   Dr. Oz said to put wort remover on them until they dissolve, may take days and reapplications
southernlady5464
on 4/13/11 6:34 pm
Why would he say something like that??? Skin tags aren't warts. Using wart remover makes no sense.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Gloria-Caryl
on 4/14/11 12:34 am
 I guess maybe it's because the ingrediance in it will dissolve the tag.
southernlady5464
on 4/13/11 6:32 pm, edited 4/13/11 6:47 pm
Mine have gotten smaller but no, they don't go away by themselves after surgery.

As others have mentioned, they are caused by friction however, I always had some where no friction was involved.

Another reason for them is diabetes, prediabetes, or PCOS...all insulin resistant diseases. The chances of someone with skin tags having an insulin resistance disease is quite high. I don't remember the exact percentage as it's been years since I looked it up but it is very high. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1731117/

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135