decaf coffee/tea

lswaney
on 4/17/11 11:13 pm - Whiteman AFB, MO
Does decaf coffee or tea count against your liquid intake like caffintated drinks?  I have been using decaf coffee toward my daily liquid intake and was wondering if I was wrong to do that.  I have about 24 ounces of it a day.  Thanks for any info!

4catz
on 4/17/11 11:20 pm
I'm not sure if it is right or wrong, but personally, I don't count any liquids other than water towards my daily 64 onces.  That way I know I have done better than necessary.  I mix my protein with water and don't even count that like some others do.  It never hurts to have more than what is required if you can get it in.  It gets easier the further out you are.  Have a great day. 
Elena

Surgery Weight: 275
Dee2011
on 4/17/11 11:31 pm - PA
YOu can count all liquids including pro tein drinks as lond as they are decaf.  Any caffineited beverages can not be counted as caffiene dehydrates you.
Sharyn S.
on 4/18/11 2:16 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
It never hurts to have more than what is required if you can get it in. 

Not so fast.  Ever hear of water intoxication???  A very dear friend of mine lost her nephew in a college fraternity hazing incident. 

Granted, it takes extreme cir****tances to cause it, but there can be too much of a good thing.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Question: Can You Drink Too Much Water? Answer: You've probably heard that it's important to 'drink plenty of fluids' or simply 'drink lots of water'. There are excellent reasons for drinking water, but have you ever wondered if it's possible to drink too much water. Here's what you need to know:

Can You Really Drink Too Much Water?

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can ge****er intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.

What Happens During Water Intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of tha****er comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infan****er intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Bette B.
on 4/17/11 11:29 pm
 It depends on who you talk to. Some nutritionists say yes, some say no. But I've heard way more say that EVERY ounce of liquid counts, from water to coffee to the broth in your soup.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

lswaney
on 4/17/11 11:32 pm - Whiteman AFB, MO
Thanks ladies.  I need all the help I can get cause I still struggle to get all my intake in.  I am hoping it does count if not then I am completly screwed!! LOL

MacMadame
on 4/18/11 1:24 am - Northern, CA
Caffeine does not dehydrate you. There are plenty of studies showing that people who consume caffeine don't pee out any more liquid than if they don't consume caffeine. What caffeine does is make you have to pee right then and there. It's like an on switch for your bladder. So that's why people think it's dehydrating. But it's not.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

MsBatt
on 4/18/11 3:10 am

Caffeine ingestion and fluid balance: a review

ABSTRACT

Background

Caffeine and related methylxanthine compounds are recognized as having a diuretic action, and consumers are often advised to avoid beverages containing these compounds in situations where fluid balance may be compromised. The aim of this review is to evaluate the available literature concerning the effect of caffeine ingestion on fluid balance and to formulate targeted and evidence-based advice on caffeinated beverages in the context of optimum hydration.

Method

A literature search was performed using the Medline database of articles published in the medical and scientific literature for the period of January 1966–March 2002. Subject headings and key words used in this search were: tea, coffee, caffeine, diuresis, fluid balance and water-electrolyte balance. A secondary search was performed using the bibliographies of publications identified in the initial search.

Results

The available literature suggests that acute ingestion of caffeine in large doses (at least 250–300 mg, equivalent to the amount found in 2–3 cups of coffee or 5–8 cups of tea) results in a short-term stimulation of urine output in individuals who have been deprived of caffeine for a period of days or weeks. A profound tolerance to the diuretic and other effects of caffeine develops, however, and the actions are much diminished in individuals *****gularly consume tea or coffee. Doses of caffeine equivalent to the amount normally found in standard servings of tea, coffee and carbonated soft drinks appear to have no diuretic action.

Conclusion

The most ecologically valid of the published studies offers no support for the suggestion that consumption of caffeine-containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle leads to fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested or is associated with poor hydration status. Therefore, there would appear to be no clear basis for refraining from caffeine containing drinks in situations where fluid balance might be compromised
Most Active