hey, it's me again....

angeldore
on 4/20/11 2:00 am
 so, as i posted the 1st tiem, i have been gaining 10lbs a month! many replies, thanks. i got back some info from my surgeon. my iron is low, & my vitamin D is so low that i have to take a prescribed form of it, 50,000IU 1x a week!
also, to answer some of your other questions:
my surgery was 4 years ago, 
my lowest weight was 116lbs. for about a year.then i slowly went up to 127lbs, for the rest of the time, up until recently.
i suffer from SEVERE fibromialgya, & lower back issues that make it so i can barley even walk anymore. i cry daily. as i am now. what happened? i was (even though i was in pain) able to do pilaties DAILY up until recently, the back pain just became unbarable.
4 months ago i was 127lbs., now, i am about 160 & SOOOO scared, i dont want to go to fat ville again. plus, to make matters worse, all i want to eat is crackers & a root called jicama, ALWAYS. why? how do i stop?
can someone remind me of what going back to the basics really is? its been so long & I need this more than anything.
please help.
sincerely,
angelic

mrskreuter
on 4/20/11 2:25 am
RNY on 02/24/11 with
Hi, I wanted to respond to your post since I am a newbie as of 2/24/11 and have in my possesion my paperwork with the basics listed.  slow down the speed in eating take 30 minutes to eat. Remember the 30/30 rule no liquid 30 before eating or 30 after. Cut down on intake of caffeine and sodas. Eat 3 meals a day and limit you calories. detoxify your kitchen get rid of dangerous foods like chips, cookies,etc.  Excercise have you considered Aquatherapy ? Protein is very healing How is your protein? consider adding your protein drinks if you have discontinued.  Try to remove or limit Rice,bread and pasta, greasy or fried food or fast food. Limit sugar in food to lower than 6 gr of sugar a serving. Go sugarfree in all your beverages and desserts. and limit quanaties. Like i said I'm new at this but had the information to share I hope it helps you. Take care Debbie

Susan S.
on 4/20/11 2:38 am - Roselle, NJ
Are you on a new drug for the fibromyalgia? Most SSRIs are known to cause weight gai and the drugs that are prescribed to treat fibro are usually SSRI based if I"m not mistaken. They can cause rapid weight gain. You got a nice overview of back to basics from Debbie. Are you being treated for the back pain? I've had to rehab an injured shoulder and saw lots of people with back issues.....and understand the impact of that kind of pain. Pursure getting that under better control if you can....so your mobilty isn't so severely limited. in the mean time...post your daily intake.....let OH keep you accountable. Jicama is a starchy vege......high in carbs......not the worst choice in the world.....but crackers and jicama are all carbs. What is your protein intake like? Describe a day of eating. Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Kathleen F.
on 4/20/11 4:19 am, edited 1/30/12 5:48 am

Low vitamin D levels can be contributing to your pain. [edited to remove personal information] Bringing your D up might help with your pain. Prescription D is D2. Some people have success bringing their D level up with it, but you might be better off getting OTC D3, preferably dry D3. 50,000 IU of D works out to be about 7,000 IU a day. Or you could order the high dose D3 from Vitalady.

If your doctor hasn't already, you may want to have your magnesium level checked as it is a factor in your ability to utilize the D.

angeldore
on 4/20/11 4:46 am
 i was prescribed 50,000 IU 1x a week.

Ladytazz
on 4/20/11 4:56 am
If the D you were prescribed is in an oil based gel cap (and they all are that are prescribed) it won't do you any good.  This is what you need.
http://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&k ey=1130X100
Trust me, the oil based D won't do a thing.  Mine was nearly undetectable at one point and now it is 72.
I was gaining rapidly at one point so I know how you are feeling.  I was about 195lbs in Jan, 2010 (bad enough) and when I was weighed again in July, 2010 I was 218lbs.  It is painful and demoralizing.
I can say the direct reason for my rapid gain was my refined carb addiction.  The more I ate the more I wanted.  It was a vicious cycle.  The more I tried to control my intake the more out of control I became.  That needs to be addressed or you will always be spinning your wheels.  You can address it through counseling or a support group or however works for you but I hope you are able to get a handle on it.
It helps me to track my food every day but the biggest help for me is just not eating anything with refined carbs in it in any form.
Just take it one day at a time.  It takes a few days to get it out of your system but after that it becomes a lot easier.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Elizabeth N.
on 4/20/11 5:21 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's not enough and it's the wrong kind of D. Doctors know squat about this stuff, unfortunately.
Elizabeth N.
on 4/20/11 5:20 am - Burlington County, NJ
I can't talk about "back to basics" for your surgery as mine was different. I wanted to offer you a little hope about the chronic pain: It's possible that as your D and PTH levels improve, you'll get some pain relief.

What were your D and PTH levels? If you had RNY, the prescription D is useless for you. You need dry D3 as cholecalciferol 50,000 IU, which you can get from www.vitalady.com . I would take it daily, not weekly (you will NOT "overdose" on this type of D, especially since you are so low), and retest in six weeks or so. You want your D results to be around 80-100, NOT just in the "normal" range for your lab.

You also need to be taking calcium CITRATE, such as Citrical, 1800-2400 mg daily (unless you have a medical condition such as kidney failure where you need to be cautious about total calcium intake).
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 6:24 am - San Diego, CA
Also, if you want to "detox" your body of carbs./sugar to rid yourself of the awful cravings, try the 5-day pouch test.  www.5daypouchtest.com
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 7:02 am
Just want to reinforce what the others said. First low D caused me to have really bad pain. Once I got it back to normal I felt a lot better. You might want to try the 5 day pouch test as a way to cleanse yourself of a heavy carb habit. Carbs will cause you to retain fluids so you feel as yucky as the scales makes you feel. Good luck, keep us up to date on how you are doing.