Needs some support.......

Maureen F.
on 4/19/11 2:00 am - Essington, PA
Hi all, I am 8 weeks post RNY and I still feel depressed. I keep asking myself what the heck did I do? why did I do this? I feel like I did something wrong and that I have to hide it. I keep comming to this site looking for support and I keep reading about everyone problems and issues and I am getting scared that I did the wrong thing by getting this done. I would like to know that not everyone has issues and that not everyone ends up sick or in the hospital from this surgery a few years down the line. I actually have thought about looking into a reversal.........

A BIG question I have is what kinds of foods does everyone eat? I think I am eating the right things and I am staying in the guidelines that were set but I am scared that I am going ot get sick too. or that I am gonna mess it up. What is a daily menu look like for you?

Anyone with advice or support please let me know. Let me know I am gonna be ok.

Thanks

Mo
HW-309      Surgery Weight - 283     GOAL-160

Greytquilta
on 4/19/11 2:27 am - North Kingstown, RI
You just had major surgery, give your body time to heal.  I think just about everyone has buyer's remorse sometime post-op.  Every doctor has different eating ideas so just keep following your surgeon's eating plan and you will be successful.  I always fell back on cottage cheese and yogurt, string cheese.

Pat
(deactivated member)
on 4/19/11 2:30 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
You are emotionally bankrupt after having surgery. Give yourself some time to heal mentally, emotionally, as well as physically.

You'll be happier and healthier as soon as your body and mind get back to a normal routine.

nomoresugar
on 4/19/11 2:32 am
Don't Worry!  for all the 'bad' posts, there are many many more people with great success and no issues.  there are many post ops who are years out with no issues.  Remember, some of the people with issues many NOT be related to their weight loss surgery.

If your daily intake includes at least 60 grams of protein (more is better) at least 48 ounces of water (more is better) vegetables as tolerated, and you minimize simple carbs like white bread and all sugar, you should do well.  You will also need to suplement your vitamins for life.

Many of us eat similar to everyone else, just way smaller portions.  Having a reversal is not likely available to you.  It is more complicated, risky and is only done in the extreme cases.

Make the best of your tool to reach a healthy weight.  Depression is common after surgery.  I would suggest you ask your doctor for something to help.
Mag (Marguerite) P.
on 4/19/11 3:01 am - Green Valley, AZ
Dear Mo, I'm sorry I have not been there lately for you. I just want you to know that I care. I've just been self-centered (too much) in the past week. Hang on to the hope we talked about. None of my present problems have anything to do w/ my surgery. I'm feeling better. There are a lot of people who post NSV's too. I want you to be happy w/ yourself and your decision.  We who are in our first few months must find a new normal. A new routine. It takes time and some work on our part. Sorry I let you down by not staying in  contact more . I will do better.    Mag       

Maureen F.
on 4/19/11 6:36 am - Essington, PA
I want to thank everyone for the support and kind words. It really does help.

Mag, please do not appologize for anything. We have lives to lead and you have not let me down in any way. I have to learn to deal with all this and get past the mental parts that have me hung up. I think that I am just having a bad week cause I went back to work and it is a HUGE adjustment to my system. So many times at work when we are not busy the day revolves around food and I need to get over the urges. I do feel better somedays but there are somedays I just want to crawl into a whole and never come out, and I hate feeling like this, which makes me more depressed. I thought I knew what I was doing and I thought I could handle it but man it is hard!!! Really hard! I am also scared that I am going to mess this all up. I try to follow my docs instructions but I am scared that if I vere off the road even a bit I will hurt myself, I think I am my own worse enemy and am driving myself nuts here.

I have gotten back to the gym and it helps, I love going, I just cant get there as much as I want to. But I get there enough.
HW-309      Surgery Weight - 283     GOAL-160

Kim S.
on 4/19/11 3:11 am - Helena, AL
Take a deep breath!  Many people have these feelings.  Your body has been through a lot, and your homones are probably all whacked out!  Think long term....you did this to hopefully get healthy and maintain that good health forever.

You read about many problems and issues on these boards because all the people that are feeling great and not having problems have gone on with their lives!  There are MANY success stories out there.  In a few weeks I'll have my 2 year surgiversary.  I cannot imagine where I'd be right now if I hadn't done this!  I am at a normal weight and very healthy and active.  I just wish I'd done this sooner.

Don't worry about what everyone else eats.  This is your journey and you need to find your way.  Rely on your nutritionist to help you decide what is best for YOU.  Also, are you exercising?  You must if you want long term success, plus the endorphins will make you feel better.

You are going to be fine!  Hang in there.  If the feelings persist, ask your doctor for some help.

Wishing you the best,

Kim

siberiancat
on 4/19/11 5:16 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I'm good.  I feel great - more energy and vigor than I had 30 years ago.

I've had no complications.  I've learned by doing some careless things (eating too fast - nausea/vomiting, not chewing enough - getting food stuck, eating sweets and  dumping, etc.)  We all have to learn those kind of lessons the hard way.

I've enjoyed my journey.  I've become a food snob.  I read and read and want to be healthy.  I've changed how and what I eat.  If it doesn't provide my body with nourishment - I don't eat it.

I also have been on OH daily and attend my support group every month.

Stay on OH and learn from others.  Often it is only those with issues, problems, etc. that post on OH.  When you are doing well, there isn't much to say.

Best wishes.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/11 7:08 am
Hang in there SWEETIE! It is normal to question the sanity of the surgery, but that is due to many factors. First you are releasing long held estrogen into your circulation and that takes it's toll. Then you are creating new relationship with food. It takes a long time to accept the changes. I did not have dumping at first, but by six months I knew all about dumping and I still have it. I decide if a food is worth the gas, bathroom runs, and sore bottom-most of the time the answer is NO. This is how the surgery has worked for me, and yes I continue to questioned my sanity but I am 90 pounds lighter than I was when I started.

If you want to see what people eat go the different boards and look for the recurring posts like rowing and milestones, or what are you eating today or something like that. Some people will be existing on air, some are heavy protein intake, some like me with a diet that includes limited carbohydrates.
Tomrrow will be a new day and I hope you will be feeling better.
spedcon
on 4/19/11 10:39 am
Hi Mo!
It is common to have depression after this surgery. It messes with our hormones! I am almost two years out and I feel great! I have never vomited. I do have reactive hypoglycemia but I am diabetic and know what to avoid. It is stupid for me to eat carbs with no protein....my blood sugar goes up and then crashes! When I eat like I should, I do not do this.

I eat protein first, veggies and then a few good carbs. There are no foods I can't eat. Now, I do avoid carb rich foods like pasta, pizza and white breads. I eat a half sweet potato, wheat wraps, occasional crackers etc... I can eat in any restaurants, I just try to make good choices. If I want a few bites of something, I eat it.

Try not to worry about messing up so much. Follow your plan, eat protein first and then follow with veggies, fruits and a small portion of carbs (not much room left).  Eat around 80-100 grams of protein, get in your water and you should be ok...it will all become routine soon.

I have a protein shake every morning...I make it with a Magic Bullet and it is good. For lunch, I eat protein rich salads or fish, beans, sandwich meat on low carb wraps, baked fish, yogurt, cottage cheese etc... For supper, I eat steak, chicken, turkey, beans, lots of pork chops/butt/roasts, veggie burgers as well as hamburger, white chicken chili, baked fish and veggies. I also eat out and have Chinese food and other foods as well....it becomes easier to find appropriate foods when you are 6 months out.

You will be ok. I went through this my first week out of the hospital. If you continue to feel this way, you may need some meds until your hormones even out. Really, it is hard to lose our best friend and comfort....yummy carby foods! I don't really mourn them anymore. Please keep posting, you don't have to do this alone!        Connie
Most Active