Aretha Franklin in "People"

Bette B.
on 4/22/11 12:57 pm
image: Aretha FranklinFrom hamburgers to salads: Aretha Franklin reveals her weight loss secrets

Says she lost 85 pounds in something like five months through a "mystery surgery", but would "never, EVER have bariatric surgery." (Of course, she also said that she never weighed 300 pounds, either.)

So, magic fans, how DID the Amazing Aretha do it? Is it really possible to lose that much weight that fast with diet and exercise alone?

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

kathkeb
on 4/22/11 1:02 pm
15 years ago, I lost 104 pounds in 26 weeks on Medifast.

Of course, I proceeded to gain 114 pounds in the years after that.

Yes -- you could lose 85 pounds in 5 months on a starvation diet -- especically if you started at over 300 pounds
Kath

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/11 10:05 pm, edited 4/22/11 10:05 pm - Groton, CT
RNY on 05/03/10 with
Yeah, it can be done. I lost 60 lbs. in three months on Weigh****chers right before a vacation. Of course, it all came back with a vengeance immediately after we returned from that trip!

I try not to judge others--especially when it's a weight issue. I know too much about being judged based on the way I look. That said, I have to admit that I do find it coincidental that she went in for surgery and is suddenly losing weight. Maybe she doesn't know or understand that bariatric surgery is weight loss surgery? Or, maybe she just wants to keep it private. Either way, it's really none of my business. I'll just say that I'm happy for her, no matter how she's doing it.

I hope she'll continue living a healthy, active lifestyle. She looks amazing.
thebadest
on 4/23/11 2:38 am - Houston, TX
She does look geat.

***Getting to Goal Challenge: -13.9/22.7 July 29th surgiversary**
Trina//SW:270/CW:172.7/GW:150

wonkad
on 4/23/11 11:58 am - IL
"Of course, she also said that she never weighed 300 pounds, either."

Hey Bette!!!

I purchased the mag the other day and I'm still wondering about this. I saw her in an interview and she said that she would never do "that" gastric bypass surgery. Now she's saying "bariatric surgery". I do hope all is well with her. IF she did have surgery I wish she wouldn't Star Jones it and just come clean.

shock.gif

**Weight loss since June 08**

MsBatt
on 4/30/11 1:15 am
"I wish she wouldn't Star Jones it... "

LOL! Poor Star---after all she's done, she's going to be known for telling lies.
moparmemaw
on 4/30/11 12:51 am - IA
Well, if she can say she never weighed over 300 pounds, then I guess I can say that too.  lol

Maybe she'll claim she had a "gastrectomy", which is removal of part of the stomach, which my grandmother had in the 1950s.  I guess that would be easier for her to admit than to say she had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. 

I just don't understand the mentality of people whoe deny that they have had WLS.  There's no shame in it.  All it does is make people talk more about them (like we are here about AF) in a negative way. 

I HAD WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY AND NOT ASHAMED TO ADMIT IT!!

Ok I feel better.
Wanda
Some people might not support my WLS decision. 
Those people remind me of slinkys. Not good for much but it would would bring a smile to my face if someone pushed them down the stairs.

Ticker includes Pre-op weight loss 24 lb. 

Stephanie M.
on 4/30/11 1:57 am
you mean like a VSG Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

steelerfan1
on 4/30/11 1:17 am, edited 4/30/11 1:22 am
Yes I think it can be done.  If you have the drive and the right mindset anything is possible.

I know alot of people that have lost 200 pounds plus from diet and exercise alone no WLS done.

I met a guy in NC at Richard Simmons workout there he weighed 450 pounds and got down to 250 pounds in two yrs with hard work and lots of exercise.

He was told he would die if he didn't get the weight off and he took matters into his own hands and done it .

Not everybody that is fat has to have weight loss surgery to lose the weight.

I told my hubby that the lap band was the most expensive learning lesson I have ever spent.  I knew in my heart what I needed to do all along but I was to lazy and didn't get off my lazy ass to do something about it.  like exercise the main thing that causes great weight loss and of course proper diet.

When I followed the rules of eating, watching portions, exercising I went from 335 pounds down to 270 in 7months all without WLS.   Dumb ass me then gave up and didn't give a rats ass about myself anymore  and I could kick myself for it .

And right now that is basically all Im doing right now again.  I eat right, I watch my portions and I exercise my ass of to Zumba 5 days a week to one hr classes .  2 hrs on Wed starting in June.

So yes I think it can be done without WLS. I have alot of friends through Richard Simmons that has done all this on their own.  I have exercised with them, I have went on Cruise to lose with these people and I have a great admiration for them because they are doing something I wish to God I could have done .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Mandyplus2 ..
on 4/30/11 1:48 am, edited 4/30/11 1:48 am - GA
She's full of sheeit.
 5'8" - 40 years old

Most Active