XP: Why nothing ever f*cking fits!!!

Bette B.
on 4/25/11 1:00 am
 From today's NY Times:

www.nytimes.com/2011/04/25/business/25sizing.html

One Size Fits Nobody: Seeking a Steady 4 or a 10

In one store, you’re a Size 4, in another a Size 8, and in another a Size 10 — all without gaining an ounce.

It’s a familiar problem for many women, as standard sizing has never been very standard, ever since custom clothing gave way to ready-to-wear.

So, baffled women carry armfuls of the same garment in different sizes into the dressing room. They order several sizes of the same shirt online, just to get the right fit.

Now, a handful of companies are tackling the problem of sizes that are unreliable. Some are pushing more informative labels. Some are designing multiple versions of a garment to fit different body shapes. And one is offering full-body scans at shopping malls, telling a shopper what sizes she should try among the various brands.

(For more, go to the link above.)

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

NoEscape21
on 4/25/11 1:09 am - Apopka, FL
that body scanner thing is kind of awesome...of course I wont be trying it til I am tinier hehe cuz I cant find crap at the mall right now :P
  Unicorns fart rainbows and magic!              HW:272 SW:260 GW:120
 Blog:  Weighed Down: A blog about becoming a former fat girl
Youtube: 
No Escape's Channel Join: The Pin -Up Girls: Vixens in progressLilySlim Weight loss tickers

martitalinda
on 4/25/11 1:11 am
 When I see that I love my sewing machines more and more ... especially my new addition ... a supposedly 'just because' gift from DD ... a project runway computerized sewing/embroidery machine .... then she asks me to custom make her bedspread/shams/pillowcases/dustruffle and canopy for her room along with curtains just like I have always done for her in the past ... I knew there was a catch to it LOL .... 

I feel you on the sizes ... they range all over the place ...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Phyllis C.
on 4/25/11 1:29 am
I like that different body shape concept.  I am petite and curvy, although petite is not what you would think of when you see me.  I am short and I get really angry when I can't find pants in a short size.  I hate hemming things.  They never look right because they they need to be short all of the way around, not just at the bottom.  I can wear a medium top and a gigando bottom which discourages me from buying dresses or suits.

They seem to make most women's pants to fit men.  If they fit in the waist, they are tight in the hips and visa versa.

This problem seems to exist no matter how expensive or cheap the clothing line is.  The varying sizes don't bother me near as much as manufactures making most of their clothing to fit the "average" shaped woman, maybe.

I have had luck with Jones New York, and amazingly, Kmart tries to tailor sizes to different shaped women.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

Bette B.
on 4/25/11 1:35 am
I'm 5'10" but relatively short legged for my height, long bodied and long armed. Small waist, breeder's hips.

NOTHING ever fits right. I have to wear men's shirts to get enough length in the body and arms.

"Woman's" sizes for pants, to get the right waist to hip ratio.

But I can pick up two pairs of pants by the SAME manufacturer in the exact SAME size and exact SAME material and have one be too big and the other too small.
WTF??

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Greytquilta
on 4/25/11 3:05 am - North Kingstown, RI
Bette,
I know!! When garment manufacturers cut  out an item they cut multiple layers.  The top layer is larger than the bottom layer, the cuts get progressively smaller, that why one  pair of pants can be too big and the exact same too small.

Pat
MarilynT
on 4/25/11 3:11 am
Yep....I try EVERYTHING ON!

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

kahlana
on 4/25/11 9:47 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
i jsut had this happen to me. I had a pair of yummy wonderful fitting Old Navy The Sweetheart jeans in a size 16. Then I went on Ebay and bought 4 more pairs of the exact same style and size of jeans only 2 pair were used the others were still new with tags. One pair is so baggy (one of the new with tags) I can wear them with my swollen tummy when even my 18s wont fit. The other 3 are baggy but not falling off and NONE of them fit like my original pair does. Sigh... I hate when they do that to me. and yeah I usually try EVERYTHING on. But i thought how can i go wrong? It's Old Navy in the exact same style exact same size....
ncmdgirl
on 4/27/11 1:40 am
This is so true because I am sitting here with a size 8 Ellen Tracy dress on. I normally wear about a 12 or a 14 in dresses. This is surreal to have on a size 8 - LOVE THE MESSED UP SIZING! Sad thing is I know that in DKNY jeans I could really fit a comfy 16 but I refuse to by it because a 16 is too close to an 18 and an 18 is to close to a 20 (im crazy, I know).
Just a few more steps to wonderland......and believe me I am taking baby steps (ugh).

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1442 views