Feeling Overwhelmed...

BumpiestStar
on 5/7/11 4:05 am - MD
   I’m just starting out on my journey; all pre-op testing complete, psych eval done and 2 of 6 nutritional requirement sessions completed. I’m also reading and learning as much as I can from the veterans a newbie’s of ALL WLS procedures (I like the cross reference, it has given me a very big picture of what to expect, the GOOD the BAD and the UGLY). BTW…Thanks for sharing.

Last week I started attending a support group and I’ve ordered samples of shakes, so I wouldn’t waste the money on a tub just to find out that I can’t stand the taste after surgery (I learned that here). I starting to look into vitamins and plan to start taking them next week. I’ve increased my protein intake and started to read labels…I’m so upset that I won’t be able to have Chobani yogurt w/FRUIT (too much sugar)  .  I’ve increased my exercise (the puppy and I are up to 2 mile walks, his little legs really move).

I even started to budget for the added expense of the vitamins, supplements and shakes.

But with all I’ve done I feel like I’m not prepared for this life changing journey. I know I’m mentally ready, I just don’t feel I have my “house “in order. I feel there is so much more I need to do I just don’t know what it is… I feel overwhelmed.

Any Ideas on what else I can do; what I’ve missed or just how to relieve this feeling would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tonya
(repost from my blog)

September903
on 5/7/11 4:13 am
Hi Tonya, don't get discouraged, it's all part of your journey. In addition to budgeting to for vitamins yuo may also want to start taking them. Most testimonies I have read and listenented to lost hair because the did not have a regimen of taking vitamins before surgery. I started my vitamins about 6months prior so they were readily in my system. Also, if you haven't done so, go to YouTube.com and type in VSG success stories or bariatric before and after and listen to (and watch) vidoed transformations and testimonies. Listening to them were addiictive because there are so many, but they also give inspiration. Good luck to you! JR

BumpiestStar
on 5/7/11 4:25 am - MD
 Hey JR I plan to start taking them next week, just havent gone to the store to get them yet. It' on my "Tonya do" list for this weekend.  Thanks so much
(deactivated member)
on 5/7/11 4:14 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Seems like you are heading in the right direction. Which surgery have you chosen ?

If you say the band, then please allow me to talk you out of it.
BumpiestStar
on 5/7/11 4:37 am, edited 5/7/11 4:50 am - MD

Hi Pumpkin, I'm leaning toward RNY but haven’t 100% ruled out VSG. Then band was never an option for me and after reading some of yours and others experience. It just gave validity to my decision, NOT to have the band.  Side note: I was around and reading when the whole Naomi thread was up… might have made one or two unfavorable non-WLS comments towards her  veiws

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/11 4:46 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
I'm hoping to revise to the VSG, but I am going to have a fight on my hands. My PCP just told me that it's time to get the band out and I am so not looking forward to yet another surgery.

I'm in bed with the left shoulder and upper back pain today again. ****

Now that you mention it.....I do seem to recall the Na-Blow-Me thread. She is the self appointed poster child for the Crap Band....She is definitely poster child material, but not for the band.
Amy R.
on 5/7/11 5:02 am
This is gonna sound funny, but the thing that has been the hardest for me to do/remember is not to drink within 30 minutes of a meal. If I had to do it all over again, I'd start practicing that right now, so you won't have such a learning curve postop.
BumpiestStar
on 5/7/11 5:20 am - MD
 Not funny at all, my NUT told me to start eating 4-5 small meals a day, not to drink 30 before eating, no drink while eating. I'm struggling with the first 2 rules .
turningpoint
on 5/7/11 5:33 am

Congrats on getting your journey underway.

If your puppy is truly a puppy, 2 mile walks are TOO MUCH!  Until their bones are fully formed and growth plates are closed at around 12-18 months depending on the breed, forced exercise should be limited.  Here is a document I refer people to that explains why and how much:

http://www.euro-boxer.com/study/pet_level/boxer_exercise/box er_puppy_exercise.html

Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
BumpiestStar
on 5/7/11 6:18 am, edited 5/7/11 11:49 am - MD
 He's full of energy and is still raring to go after we are done. I'm not running and it's not a very brisk walk either. I'm no veterinarian, but I'll bring this up on his next vist.  The link you sent can not be found. Thanks for the advice
Most Active