black cohosh (for menopause)

Meredith I.
on 5/9/11 2:39 am - New Bern, NC
It's offical, I'm in menopause.  I was tested (again) a few days ago.  In fact, my regular doctor tested me in December, then tested me again this week.  My blood work shows I'm now in menopause.  This is a mixed blessing, but now I have a TON of questions.  My doctor told me to try black cohosh, since I have breast cancer in my family and he does NOT recommend hormones.  Can we Rny-ers take this and what form is best?  I'm guessing it comes in pills??  

I've been having mood swings.  There are times when I have an insatiable appetite.  My ears are ringing so loudly now it almost makes me dizzy, esp. in the morning.  I've been up since 9:30 and they've been ringing loudly for 3 hours now.  This is typical as of the last few weeks.  And a few hot flashes, now and then.  Not too bad, just feels weird.

My bloodwork from last week also shows my iron is down, despite taking lots of iron.  So my doctor says he's going to check me in 3 more months.  If it's down again he's sending me for IV iron infusions.  I've done that before.  I loved it!  I told him, "Why wait 'til my iron bottoms out??  I want it NOW."  He said there were strict restrictions on what level you have to be to qualify for it.  Oh well.  My ferritin was 28 a few days ago.

Please help, all you menopause girls!!  I am swimming in uncharted territory and need guidance!!
Meredith  Music Teacher in New Bern, NC (lost 48 lbs PRE-op!!)
http://bangertmusic.tripod.com/myweightlossjourney

Susan S.
on 5/9/11 8:02 am - Roselle, NJ
I'm peri-menopause and take a product called Estro Sense....which contains black cohash and a host of other herbs/supplements believed to assist in the transition of hormones (Phystoestrogens etc.) The quality of my hot flashes has changed......still have them....but no so much of the full blown panic/nausea thing for me.......I know they make a similar product called Menosense......think that's it. Try googling it. My understanding is that phystoestrogens from soy etc. will not impact your body the way synthetic estrogen replacement might (and raise your cancer risk). I also find exercise essential in battling the mood stuff. Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Nonie0123
on 5/9/11 12:05 pm - MT
There are several over the counter products for menopause that contain black cohosh.  I've been taking them for a while along with evening primrose oil caplets.  Between the both of them, I've experienced fewer hot flashes, and have also seen a positive change in my mood, I no longer feel like ripping heads off :)
aaaaaaa
on 5/9/11 10:31 pm, edited 5/9/11 10:32 pm
I'm in peri-menopause myself, and am taking Estroven, which has black cohosh in it. I have only been taking it for 5 days, so it's too early to tell if it works, but my surgeon says it is fine for RNYers. :D

Most Active