Endo doc turned me away

Toobcherished
on 5/11/11 10:27 pm - Henrico, VA
Hi yall.  Long time since I have been on this board but wanted to ask about anyone here that has hypoglycemia.  I made an appt with who my surgeon suggested for the low blood sugars that I have been having.  The lowest has been 43. Dr. Castallucci whom is located in Richmond was who I went to yesterday.  First I went to his Dietician who was...stumped. Then I saw Dr. Castallucci and basically told me "I'm sorry I cant help you jus****ch what you eat". 

No testing, he didnt even touch me. Asked a few questions about the bypass and bascially told me well...sorry this is what happens with this surgery....deal with it. 

What should I do?  Just except it and do my best to manage it?  At this point I cant figue out my triggers, the dietician couldnt help me.  What we as bypass patients eat is how I eatand thats the same way of that those with hypo should eat...and im still bottoming out.

Just need opinions.  I seem to be in such a brain fogg and suffer with some confusion.  If this progressively gets worse i can see me losing my license cause sometimes I get a bit lost when I should know where I am going.  :-(

After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.
1 Peter 5:10

turningpoint
on 5/11/11 10:52 pm
I have been having the same type of problem...both with hypo & drs.  I had a "clean weekend" food wise where I stuck with healthy homemade foods and got myself to feeling better.  Then I looked at the difference between those days and normal days....I had become heavily dependent on protein bars to get me through the days and my real food was lacking.  Not sure if it is one or all, but I am blaming the sugars, sugar alcohols, and carbs.  I have tried to avoid those much more lately and that is helping.  Well, I had one way to busy day and ended up having several protein bars that day and voila! back to feeling like crap.  I also found that if I don't eat enough veggies with a meal, I get hungry faster...fiber is good.

Good luck in finding your trigger. 
Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
Lady Lithia
on 5/11/11 11:09 pm
Seems to me (and I am woefully only figuring this stuff out) that you do NOT WANT the test that they could give you, a glucose tolerance test. I don't anyway, as I dump.... no way!

So he can't test you. But I'm surprised they didn't sit down with you and try to come to some working plan to help you out

From waht I've haerd, and what I need to do only I haven't done it yet, is to track your blood sugar and your food.

example: 

6 am 1/3 cup Total Fage and 1/2 cup cherries and black berries X g fat, x g carbs, x g protein (X simple sugars)

7 am Blood sugar 117

8 am protein shake 1.5 g sugar, 1.5 g fat, 23.5 g protein

9 am blood sugar 100

11 am small sandwich (add stats) 

12 pm blood sugar 75

2 pm - 5 ritz crackers and a cheese stick

etc etc etc.... in my fake example above the person had the lowest blood sugar after a sandwich...the experiment would  be to change things up, narrow down the things that cause spikes, and eliminate them.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/11 1:43 am - Santa Cruz, CA
You're experiencing Reactive Hypoglycemia; it is not uncommon for wls patients. This has been posted on this site very often. Your Endo is right, this is a side-effect of wls. But it is manageable.

You must eat 5 or 6 small meals daily. They must be high protein, with some complex carbs (fresh fruits or veggies). Avoid white carbs.

Believe me, it isn't hard to get into the routine. You'll find yourself all better in no time, but you do need to keep checking your blood glucose levels. Do you have a blood monitor?

I only have problems with RH when I forget to eat properly.

Good luck.
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1421 views