Sounds ridiculous but I'm asking anyway...

kbowman2
on 5/11/11 6:46 am
Have any of you experienced a change in your skin when it comes to sun exposure?  Mine started about a month after my surgery last year when I had severe sun burn on my face that caused me to go to the ER and have steroidal treatment.  After that day I had 50spf on every day I was out in the sun with no issues.
Now, we come to this spring.  I was out in the sun a few days for about 20-40 mins each exposure.  My face had spf 25, my arms and neck, nothing.  I am breaking out in a sort of sun rash.  Not much to look at but you can feel small bumps all over the tops of my hands, arms and back of my neck that was not covered by my shirt.  With each exposure to the sun it gets worse.  The bumps get larger, redder and more itchy.
Has anyone experienced this new sensitivity to the sun after WLS?  I realize it could be medication or a whole slew of things but just curious if anyone else has symptoms?

P.S. NEVER had a problem in the sun before...

Kim
Heaviest 397/ Before Surgery 367/ Lowest 170/ Current 185

Amy R.
on 5/11/11 6:49 am
With the bumps and stuff it almost sounds like *****ly heat.

I've never heard of surgery making a difference in how we tolerate the sun's rays. But it makes a difference in just about everything else so I guess there's probably no reason it couldn't change your susceptibility to sunburn. It will be interesting to hear what others have to say.
Katari
on 5/11/11 6:49 am, edited 5/11/11 6:50 am - OR
My son suddenly developed the same type of thing about 3 years ago. He was diagnosed with a sun allergy. Granted he didn't have the surgery, but it did seem to come out of nowhere.  I didn't have any problems last year, but I do tan faster than I used to.

ETA: His bumps looked like huge water blisters all around this face, etc. so maybe not the same type of "bump" you are describing. You could show them to your pcp and see what he thinks.

Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Crimson
on 5/11/11 9:32 am - MD
I had this since when I was a kid. It's a light/sun allergy for me called PMLE: polymorphic light eruption. even when i wear the highest spf, i still get minor bumps. but blue lizard sunblock works best for me; recommended by my dermatologist.
on 5/11/11 10:42 am - OR
I am pre op so I cant say if its related.. but I am the same way. Check out sun poisoning. I had a reallllly bad burn and since then I have a reaction, like goosebumps but super itchy with pretty much any sun exposure.. regardless of spf.
Are you a natural red head?
Phyllis C.
on 5/11/11 10:47 am
Some medications and supplements can cause photo sensitivity.  Are you taking anything different?

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

wonkad
on 5/11/11 10:56 am - IL

shock.gif

**Weight loss since June 08**

missnanajean
on 5/11/11 10:58 am - Friendswood, TX

My daughter has the lapband and has lost weight and takes blood pressure  pill and an antidrepressant. Didn't notice the Avoid Sun Exposure warning til this last month and was out at the beach for a few hours and thought it was just too much sun. Next morning she was so swollen and painful she couldn't walk. She swelled up so bad she almost was hospitalized good and painful lesson read the fine print. And if we are sensitive to medications take notice and be safe.

Miss  Jean   
ErinsClovers
on 5/11/11 8:57 pm
 I have had the same thing after I got a really bad sunburn a few years back, but I take Allergra and it seems to help.

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/11 6:15 am
You might want to check your vitamins.. Awhile back, my labs came back that I was really low on Vit D.. so I started taking a really big dose.  Then I noticed I would get bad sunburns after only being outside for a few minutes.  My doctor told me to stop taking such a big dose.  Don't know if it helps, but that was what mine was :-)
Most Active