Yikes, It's the Magesium, Stupid (Stupid = Me)

Whacka Doodle
on 5/12/11 2:24 pm
Okay folks, it's been a while since I have been able to consume my two favorite protein drinks.  Turns out they gave me diarrhea.  I couldn't figure out why -- neither had lactose, nor sugar alcohols.  But whew -- it was a big problem.  For me, those protein drinks meant constant runny poo

Couldn't understand it ...I mean, why should that happen?:??  Then, I switched to my husband's calcium citrate, and had the identical problem.  Oh c'mon ... from calcium citrate?

ep!  Turns out that the calcium citrate my husband used also had MAGNESIUM!!!  And boy, did it have magnesium!  Enough to give me the constant sh*ts!!!

Switched back to my usual calcium citrate .... and no problem.

So .... it occurs to me that probably the problem with the protein powder supplements was, they had too much magnesium.

Hey y'all, anyone happen ... just HAPPEN to know of a lower-magnesium protein drink???

(Just asking)

Lisa

Interested in low-carb nutrition?  Thinking of trying Atkins? Want to try high-fat and/or high-protein eating?  Whether or not you have had (or are thinking about) WLS   http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/atkins/   

MarilynT
on 5/12/11 11:05 pm
How much does your favorite drink have?

I have two drinks here; the EAS Myoplex Lite Chocolate Fudge and the EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control French Vanilla. They both say they have 25% of the DV of Magnesium, based on a 2000 calorie intake. The chocolate has 170 Calories, 2g fat, 20g carbs (5g fiber, 4g sugar) and 20g protein. The vanilla has 110 calories, 3g fat, 2g carb (1g fiber, 0g sugar) and 17g protein.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Ms. Cal Culator
on 5/13/11 12:33 am - Tuvalu

I've been using--not religiously, but from time to time--an egg white protein pwwder I got from Vitamin Shoppe and it has 6% of the RDA...although I can't find the source of it in the ingredients.

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

cajungirl
on 5/13/11 2:21 am
I've been using calcium citrate with magnesium and it's changed my bowel movements also.  For me though, it's a good thing as now I'm regular.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active