Dr says NO protein shakes? Im confused

iatetheskinnygurl
on 5/13/11 9:14 am - CA
So, I here a lot about shakes n such on this forum. My Dr does NOT want me having any kind of shake for my protein. Im a Kaiser PT and now Im highly confused. Has anyone else heard of this? Have your Dr discouraged this kind of protein?

Katari
on 5/13/11 9:17 am - OR
Yep, My Dr. wanted my off Protein shakes and on real food as soon as possible. I didn't have any protein shakes after the first two weeks post-op. I do on occasion have one now, but it's because I chose to do so on occasion and not because I feel like I have to. I usually do them on days where I just don't feel like eating much (more during the summer than any other time).

Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

iatetheskinnygurl
on 5/13/11 9:22 am - CA

Thank you for the reply, Im def going to do what he says, I just read so much on here about shakes n such . I expected to have to buy them.lol. I have my Nutrition class next week for pre op, guess I will lear more there.. Have a Great day. ;)

CAnutfarmer
on 5/13/11 9:22 am
I had RNY and my DR did not recommend protein shakes. They were never part of the program. The nutritionist explained that because of the bypassed portion of the intestine, our new plumbing would not absorb the protein but would the calories, and it would be an expensive way to slow down weight loss.

I'm not sure if this would apply to VSG though?????

HW 254 SW 247 CW 162 GW 145  

First 5K                                        37:48
First Trail 1/2 Marathon            3hr 30min
First Regular 1/2 Marathon     3hr 7min
1/2 Marathon 5/20/12               3hr 6min
iatetheskinnygurl
on 5/13/11 9:24 am - CA

I mean it makes sense to me..lol.  With VSG im not sure, but ill find out soon. Thank you for your response. :)

MsBatt
on 5/14/11 1:52 am
Your nutritionist is an idiot. If you can't absorb the protein, how can you possibly get any calories from it?

And most protein shakes are made to be easily absorbed, even by those of us with designer guts. Shakes are probably more easily absorbed than 'real' food.
Blessed One
on 5/13/11 9:29 am - Silicon Valley, CA
my surgeon encouraged 'real' food as opposed to shakes as far as protein goes =)
You will be fine ;)

kyutzy
on 5/13/11 10:01 am - Arlington, TX
 Ditto with the others.  No drinking my protein and only 3 meals a day - no snacks.  When I was preparing for other surgeries he had me add protein drinks to increase my nutrition.
southernlady5464
on 5/14/11 1:59 am
If you are having a RNY, that is a recipe for disaster. Having snacks between meals will keep you from suffering from Reactive Hypoglycemia. You NEED to eat every 3 or so hours.

Just ask ANYONE, esp on the RNY board who has it and you will find many who do. It is a very common side effect of the RNY.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

VictoriousSecret
on 5/14/11 8:13 am
My surgeon does not require eating every 3 hours.  Now, if I had RH, then maybe he might change things up, but here I am (as opposed to "anyone" on the RNY board) with my RNY rather than your DS saying your statement is not true for everyone. 

Temporarily holding on losing more because I'm gaining!  Pregnant with my first baby (a boy!) due June 2013, after two rounds of IVF.  SO GRATEFUL!