Past Cancer and WLS. Is it possible?

annhack
on 5/17/11 5:22 am - Brooklyn , NY
I am thinking about having weight loss surgery but im not sure if I am a good candidate because of my past history with cancer.  Anyone out there every had WLS and had Cancer before?  Would love to hear your story. 
Susan S.
on 5/17/11 5:28 am - Roselle, NJ
Yes there are people who have had good outcomes with a cancer history and WLS. Part of the decision is based on the type of cancer you've had....the nature of the treatment you had.....how far out you are...stable remission? Are you continuing to be followed by your oncologist? That would be a great place to start the discussion. Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

redhotengine1
on 5/17/11 6:44 am - Clayton, NC
Yes, it is possible. I had breast cancer 3 1/2 years ago and am now just over 6 months out from WLS. I spoke with my surgeon about the medication I am on and how it would affect weight loss. I was assured then that I would still lose just like everyone else. I would definitely suggest speaking to your doctor about your particular situation. He/she would be the best place to start!

Come visit my blog...www.losingmyinhibitions.wordpress.com

trudylam
on 5/17/11 6:52 am - Sudbury, Canada
I had thyroid cancer back in 2000 and I am scheduled for RNY in 2 weeks.  It's possible! :)

MsBatt
on 5/17/11 9:14 am
One thing to think about, and it may not even apply to your situation. We've recently had TWO (just two, out of however many cancer survivors who post here) people with some complications because their chemotherapy supposedly caused their intestinal tissue to become even more fragile than intestinal tissue already is. This is something you really should discuss with both your WL surgeon and your oncologist, and perhaps choose the Sleeve, so you won't hae to deal with having your intestine cut and sewn.
therealleigh
on 5/17/11 11:34 am - Matthews, NC
I had breast cancer almost 3 years ago. My surgery date is June 14th. My team of doctors are very supportive and feel this is my best chance to reduce reoccurrence. They want you to wait a year after treatment is over, it has been 2 years for me. Discuss wls with your doctors.
Becky D.
on 5/17/11 2:19 pm - CA
Yes it's possible.
I had melanoma on my head.
The tumor & some lymph nodes were removed.
I have had more lymph nodes removed twice since.
I asked my surgeon at City of Hope first and he thought it was a great idea.
He recommended a bariatric surgery group so I went with them.
So far I'm so happy with my weight loss & I can do so much more.
Check with your Oncologist & if he or she says yes go for it.
Becky D.
on 5/17/11 2:20 pm - CA
I forgot to say that after my third operation I went through a very strong course of radiation & am still doing great.
You can probably do this too.
cherryblossoms
on 5/17/11 4:08 pm
  Yes, it's possible. I had apl leukemia in 2004 and have been in remission since treatment... almost 7 years. As far as leukemia's are concerned it's one most responsive to specialized treatment for it. I took ATRA for a year. I see her twice a year now for special blood tests for the 15/17 gene transfusion marker. My oncologist considers me "cured" and referred me for my RNY. 

Lorna

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/11 12:04 am
 I had early  onset  breast cancer  due to  a genetic hormonal condition  of excess estrogen production .    I have to  permanently take  an estrogen  blocker  to prevent a recurrence for the rest of my life or have my ovaries removed  ( not a choice I like) 

I had my RNY  2 years ago no problem.   My  tamoxifen dosage was able to be reduced which is great because long term usage like mine carries a serious risk of CAUSING  inoperable  liver  cancer  just from the toxicity of the drug itself .  

I am VERY VERY careful to detoxregularly with saunas ,  hot baths , exercise , sun and sweating though  ( and hot yoga )  to get  all toxins out of my body .  

So far .. not a single complication, Thank God -  a  100  lbs weight loss  and successful maintenance .  

Im SO  glad I  had my lifesaving surgery ...  good luck Hun    huge hugs 
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1379 views