Getting back to basics - 3 years post op

noja
on 6/11/11 1:06 am - Hermansville, MI
I can't believe its been three years already.  I reached my goal weight and have been able to maintain until lately, it seems like I have gotten too comfortable with my weight loss and fallen back into old habits.  I want to lose 15# atleast, 25# would be great.  The big wake up call was when I got out my summer clothes and tried on a pair of my capri pants and could hardly button them.  I thought to myself, this has got to stop right now.  I've come too far at too great a price to go back.  For several months after my WLS it was touch and go if I would survive or not due to severe complications.  I put my family through hell, was on a feeding machine for months and I vowed that if I lived and lost the weight I would never let myself go back to the way I was.  Any words of encouragement?  Anybody else at or around the 3 year mark?  I'd love a good boost of motivation and a guiding hand to help me in my journey.

Nicole

turtle829
on 6/11/11 1:59 am
Revision on 08/04/15
my surgiversary date was May 1, 2008.  I too have been struggling to plan, too many sweets and chips.  My head is not in it.  I know I need to turn this ship around, but have not done it.  I know I need to go grocery shopping for proper things.  I know I need to go to the gym that I pay for monthly; but can't tell you when the last time I went... I know these things...  I just haven't done it.  I have gained 6 lbs in the last 6 wks.  Clothes are not fitting well... I feel frumpy...   but until I get my head in the game I don't see anything changing.

I will check your thread to see what others say about how to turn it around...  

I am not even making excuses....  it is just where I am at... and where I have been at for a few months now 

good luck on your journey
Vicki
Kathleen W.
on 6/11/11 2:07 am - Lancaster, PA
You and I have something in common:  we both had severe complications due to our wls surgery.  I've come to one conclusion.  We both are very strong and determined women. WE  CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You very smart to realize that you want  to lose a minimum of 10 lbs and caught the beast before it can do more damage.  That's the beginning of wisdom..  You know what to do.  Your weight loss shows that.  Go back to basics.  Eat you protein first, get your fluids in, journal what you eat, get your vitamins in, go to the doctors to get your lab work in to make sure you body is at a healthy point, and exercises.  Good Luck to you, my friend!

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Sparklegigi
on 6/11/11 2:18 am - La Verne, CA
although I am only 17 months out, I am up two lbs.  I found that I was eating one more meal before I went to bed.  It was either greek yogurt with nuts or a protein bar, but it was still food I didnt need.   I am also eating white carbs when I am out to dinner, not a lot, but any is too much for me. 
I am sorry that your capri pants dont fit, but I am sure that if you begin to journal and get rid of those things that are not good for anyone anyway, you can get  back on track.  One of my friends that had VSG and she has joined Weigh****chers to get her last 10 off, then she will be a lifetime member who doesnt have to pay, what a great idea!
Also, bump up your excercise.  I just started to Zumba  and I walk at home with the Leslie Sansone dvd (then it doesnt matter the weather) along with walking on the treadmill at lunch at work.  You can do it!

Kathleen W.
on 6/11/11 2:22 am - Lancaster, PA
I'm doing WW, also.  It's helping me get the last weight off and it's keeping me honest and accountable.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

HeatherMac
on 6/11/11 2:39 am - FPO, Italy
I'm going through the same thing.  I'm 3-1/2 years post-op and my weight is creeping up.  I've gained 11 lbs total from my lowest and I do not want to gain anymore!  I'm eating way too many carbs and sugars.  I'm trying to get back to basics and eating more protein and drinking more water.  WE CAN DO IT!!!!
Mary Catherine
on 6/11/11 3:59 am
 Here is how it works with RNY.  You have surgery, no appetite, a tiny pouch that gets sick on more than a few ounces of food and a digestive system that malabsorbs what you put into it.  You follow the basic plan and lose about 100 pounds.

Most of the weight comes off in the first six months.  Then you go through about a year with little or no additional weight loss.  Your pouch gets bigger and you can eat a lot more food.  But your weight drops a little or at least stays the same. 

Even if you did not reach goal, you are very happy with your body.  You feel like you can eat whatever you please, not have to worry about exercise, and don’t gain any weight.  The obesity has been cured.  Then somewhere around month 18 and before the end of month 36, the bypassed intestines learn how to absorb food again. When that happens there is a rapid regain of approximately 20 pounds.

Going back to basics is really hard because you no longer have the tiny pouch.  If you dumped on sugar and fat at first, there is a good chance that you have overcome that.  You basically can eat like you did before RNY and that is what you want to eat. 

For me, having a protein shake or a half cup of Greek yogurt was wonderful a few months after surgery but would make me feel deprived now.  The bounceback weight is also very stubborn weight.  Your body has learned how to overcome the surgery and it is also going to know how to overcome any diet attempts.  You can stop the regain and lose the bounceback weight, but it is not fast and easy.

Weigh****chers will work.  Atkins or South Beach or the latest Woman’s Day diet will work.  Any diet will work.  All diets will work. No diet is perfect.  Probably the best place to start is with the Beck Diet Solution. It uses Cognitive Therapy.  Get the book by Judith Beck from the library, download to Kindle or Audible.com, or buy a copy. 

With the Beck Solution you do not start your diet for two weeks.  The first two weeks of the six week program is spent learning about yourself and preparing for the diet.  You can spend a lot of time and go through a lot of frustration by trying to do this on your own.  I could not do it on my own before surgery and still can’t.

siberiancat
on 6/11/11 8:11 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I'm going through the Beck Diet Solution for the second time this summer.  I have found the cognitive therapy to be so useful.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Lady Lithia
on 6/11/11 8:19 am
Here's a GREAT link: 

http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2009/07/back-to-basics.html

Some of the big things: 

* are you drinking with your meals or within half an hour? If so, stop! This will make you hungrier.

* are you always doing protein first with your meals.... dense proteins? If not, start!

* are you consuming foods with a lot of simple carbs? StOP

* are you drinking a lot of simple calories? Stop!

* are you exercising? if not START!

Good luck. I'm fighting a bit of regain and hate that my smallest pair of pants won't fit me.

I'm three years out, and I'm 11 pounds over my lowest weight, 3 pounds above goal. right now I'm fighting reactive hypoglycemia, which means I'm always eating or drinking something. I'm also doing a good imitation of a sloth, so I'm not too surprised I'm struggling.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

noja
on 6/11/11 11:41 am - Hermansville, MI
Wow....what an overwhelming response of great feedback.  My mind is made up.  I'm going to do whatever it takes to stay healthy.  I'm not alone in this and that alone is a wonderful feeling, and now I know I can do this.  I knew before the surgery that it would forever be a lifelong struggle to maintain my weight.  This is the gentle nudge I needed to get my mindset going in a positive direction.  I'm NOT a failure and I will NOT give up.  I will NOT go back to the way I was and I will succeed!!!!!!  In with the good foods and in the trash with the bad foods.  I am not on this journey alone and anyone who wants to join me as a buddy is welcome.  

Most Active