Atheist Devotional #247--Anthony's Weiner

LeaAnn
on 6/15/11 5:55 am - Huntsville, AL

Focus On The Family Board Member To Anthony Weiner: Seek ‘Atonement, Found Only In Jesus Christ’

Focus on the Family board member Albert Mohler

Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY) has faced a tidal wave of criticism, pundit-driven psychoanalysis, and calls to resign over the revelation that he sent lewd pictures and messages to women over the Internet. Now, R. Albert Mohler, Jr., a preacher with the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky is adding his thoughts to the mix.

In a message last Saturday on his Twitter feed, Mohler condemned the news that Weiner planned to check himself into a treatment center. Mohler sneered that there is “no effective ‘treatment’ for sin." Rather, Mohler suggested Weiner — a practicing Jew — should convert to Christianity for atonement:

“Dear Congressman Weiner: There is no effective ‘treatment’ for sin. Only atonement, found only in Jesus Christ."

Cathy Lynn Grossman, a writer for USA Today, denounced Moher’s tweet. Grossman said Mohler’s tweet “reads as an evangelism tactic, riding in on the Weiner headlines but aimed at people like Jews such as Weiner, Buddhists like Woods, and many others, such as Weiner’s Muslim wife, who hold different ideas about salvation, different approaches to atonement." On his blog, Mohler responded: “Salvation is found through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and in him alone."

This isn’t the first time Mohler has landed himself in ho****er over rhetoric toward the Jewish community. During a debate on MSNBC in 2002, Mohler told host Phil Donohue that all Jews must accept Christ for salvation, and that a Nazi prison guard would find salvation before any Jewish person who does not accept Christ as their savior.

Mohler, a board member of the powerful religious right Christian group Focus on the Family, did not return ThinkProgress’ call for comment.

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 6:23 am
I know you are probably going to find this a little hard to swallow, but I am a big Weiner fan.

LeaAnn
on 6/15/11 6:44 am - Huntsville, AL
I never woulda thunk it, Oso!

Late Show Video - Anthony Weiner's Drum Solo - CBS.com www.cbs.com

Hypocrisy Alert: Vitter Gets To Stay But Democrats Say Weiner Must Go www.politicususa.com If David Vitter got to face a jury of his constituents at the ballot box, why aren't Democrats letting the voters decide the fate of Anthony Weiner?

I love my Weiner Women's Tank Top

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lmfSBhy8z9U/TZ9rie1v9HI/AAAAAAAAAFk/nvt4iBhMI98/s1600/wz.jpeg

Double Ayy
on 6/16/11 2:56 am - CA
  Good one!
LeaAnn
on 6/16/11 3:47 am - Huntsville, AL
I haz a sad. 

MsBatt
on 6/15/11 6:49 am
Funny...the name 'Mohler' sure sounds Jewish to me...
LeaAnn
on 6/15/11 6:58 am - Huntsville, AL
Maybe he converted to xianity and found God....yanno, like JESUS did!

Jesus Was a Liberal Jew Mousepad
Neeven Soodyall
on 6/15/11 5:10 pm - Surrey, Canada
Once again, the irony continues of people from non-Abrahamic traditions adopting millenia later a pitiful off-shoot of that same tradition, then trying to flog it back to the very people who didn't buy it in the first place. It's like a European Hare Krishna at the airport proselytising Hinduism to an Indian immigrant.
LeaAnn
on 6/16/11 12:02 am - Huntsville, AL
*like*

You look amazing, Neeven.  Congrats on the weightloss!!
Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/16/11 5:45 am - Baltimore, MD
Ah...Anthony Weiner. You resigned. And here I was hoping you would "stick it out..."

(Sorry. I felt someone needed to make a tasteless joke)
Most Active