I'm out of control ...

nikki050
on 6/19/11 8:22 pm - Milwaukee, WI
 It's been about 2 years since I've had Gastric Bypass and to think a weight loss surgery still hasn't made a dent in me is ridiculous. I've gained 50 pounds back and I drink alcohol like a fish. My eating habits are terrible and I can't seem to get back on track. I'm unable to  stop eating bad foods and drink alcohol. 

When I first was out of surgery, I had the most awful time keeping solids down and I didn't drink alcohol for a year and a half. I was doing great, I lost 183pounds but sadly, those days are over. I always think today is a new day but I always seem to revert back to old ways. I even joined Physician Weight Loss Centers but find it so hard to stay on track. I don't have insurance and I'm on a wait list for state insurance. I'm unable to see my surgeon or anyone else in the medical field that may be able to help me. 

I know what I have to do and start eating healthy and excerise ... it's easier said than done. I don't want to go back to 390 pounds but I'm struggling and on my way to that. I'm just looking for some support or much needed ideas on how to gain back control. 

Thanks.
Vivian Prouty
on 6/19/11 8:50 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 First off.... you are making progress !!!  You have realized that you have a problem !!!  First off.....go to DailyPlate.com and set up a account there and log your food intake and amounts and BE HONEST when you do.    That is one of the first steps to getting back on track is measure your foods and log in EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth.    Second off...stop drinking alcohol !!!  That is a No No !!!  If you feel you have a problem with drinking.....find a AA meeting and start attending.    You lost 183 lbs. so you were doing something right in the beginning and I know you can do it again.    We have to get the right mind-set to be successful with our WL.    We have to remember....this is a LIFELONG COMMITMENT...not just a passing diet.    I hope that you are taking your vitamins as you should.   If you are not taking them ( since you didn't mention that ) PLEASE for you health....start today.    You could end up with serious health issues not taking your vitamins.    I think we ALL have some of the same issues with wanting to exercise and not doing that.    BUT We have to just make ourselves do it and get into the habit.   I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.   You may want to go to 5daypouchtest.com and give that a try to get you started back in the right direction.   Make sure you get in ALL your protein needs and get in all your water too.   You aren't alone and I know that others will support you also in your effort to get back on track.   Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.   

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

SandieMc49
on 6/19/11 10:39 pm
OA (Overeater's Anonymous) is free; look for a location in your area.  Also, check to see if your surgeon has ongoing weight loss support groups. 

If you are spending a lot of time by yourself; don't do that.  Get in volved in activities that get you out in the community and interacting with people.  Volunteer at a library, community theatre group (they are always looking for people to help out!) - do something productive.  Do something to make yourself feel good about YOU. 

You have accomplished so much and you should be proud of yourself.  Don't let this setback define you; you've identified your challenges, now go out and conquer them!

All the best to you,
    Sandie
Amy R.
on 6/19/11 10:45 pm, edited 6/19/11 10:45 pm
Everything Vivian said. And especially with the vitamins. ARE you taking any?

I wish I had some easy answer for you, but you are right: it's hard. Try to focus on the positives. You're still down 133 lbs from where you were, which is awesome!

Have you tried going back to the basics and just making some simple changes, maybe concentrating on eating protein first and not drinking with meals? Then after you've mastered that (and that alone will probably get you started losing) you can work on counting carbs or eating only whole grains, fruits and vegetables after your protein - whatever worked for you in the beginning.

Can you do physical exercise? Even walking 10 or 15 minutes a time or two a day to start out will get your metabolism going again as well, and you'll feel better about things too if you get some fresh air and get your heart rate up.

Sometimes it's hard just to get the bad carb addiction put back at bay. Personally, I'm starting the 5 Day Pouch thing today (I don't think of it as a "test" as much as just re-setting my pouch). That seems to help get the cravings under control for a lot of folks.  (I'm using the plan at http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html)

And the alcohol is just empty calories. There is nothing inherently "bad" about it of course, but if you are recognizing that you are drinking too much it's probably time to put it down for awhile. If you need help, Vivian is right again. AA is awesome. (For that matter OA is pretty helpful to some folks as well).

Best of luck to you. PM me if you want to work on the 5 day thing together this week. I could use a buddy.=)

You can do this. You can do hard things. Remember?

edited to add link=)
Phyllis C.
on 6/19/11 10:58 pm
I would suggest you go to AA.  Until you get sober, you are not going to focus on doing what you need to do.

Good Luck

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

nikki050
on 6/20/11 2:48 am - Milwaukee, WI
 Thanks for all the support. I called AA and I'm going to a meeting tomorrow at 7pm. Tonight, I will be attending an Over Eaters meeting at 5pm. Thanks again. I hope this will be the end of this nightmare.
Emily F.
on 6/20/11 2:54 am
DS on 04/05/10 with
On June 20, 2011 at 9:48 AM Pacific Time, nikki050 wrote:
 Thanks for all the support. I called AA and I'm going to a meeting tomorrow at 7pm. Tonight, I will be attending an Over Eaters meeting at 5pm. Thanks again. I hope this will be the end of this nightmare.
 I'm so proud of you!!! Hugs.
Kristy R.
on 6/20/11 3:46 am - Santa Clara, CA
On June 20, 2011 at 9:48 AM Pacific Time, nikki050 wrote:
 GOOD for you!  The booze is a killer - in more ways than one.  There is NOTHING beneficial about it.  Just an observation, but it looks to me like you are looking to food and booze for the quick high they give you.  When I was going through this process, I reflected on a McDonald's cheeseburger.  I could eat one of those in about 45 seconds (and it was never just one).  45 seconds of satisfaction and look what I did to myself.  It's not worth it.  Good luck to you, you are going in the right direction.
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

kenhwilson
on 6/20/11 3:59 am - Traverse City, MI
What cures all is a spiritual awakening, a spiritual experience, a psychic shift.  Sanity and serenity come from enlightenment.  A carnal mind will argue these points but I assure you this is true.  When you get your copy of the big book of Alcoholic Anonymous read the first 164 pages like a textbook or as I call it - spirituality for dummys like me.  A spiritual program of ACTION, so all the work you might do only takes a few months, with a lifetime of enjoyable maintenance - the results are incredible if you are ready.  The same program has worked in millions of people and hundreds of self help groups wordwide.

I assure you the greatest moments in life are deciding when you cannot take it anymore and then embracing this way out to living the rest of your life without struggle and enjoying it.  Anyone who says it is a continued struggle does not know jack - do not believe it, believe that freedom serenity and happiness can be had by those willing, those humble, teachable folks, who are not contemptuous before investigation

There is much deception and misinformation
in 12 step programs today.  Use the 164 page text as a BS sifter to eliminate any misinformation you may get from opinionated people.  Write to me if you have questions....

Most Active
Recent Topics