TMI...Need help big time.

Dee2011
on 6/24/11 12:11 am - PA
I have been having BM problems for the last two months.  I ended up at the ER one time, never want to go back because of my experience.  Any how, here I am again, I have taken miralax, ducolax, fiber and choice and last week the doctors office said to back off the fiber and take colace; which I have been taking at two a day.  Well, here I sit this morning in such pain, I went to the drug store and got magnesium citrate and am waiting for that to kick in.  WHat else can you recommend?  I am in pain and sweating up a storm from the pain.  I need to get this under control so I can enjoy this journey.
aclay
on 6/24/11 1:40 am - MA
Have you tried suppositories?  The have the kids ones in the pharmacy part you just have to ask they come in a little container.  I had the problem before surgery w/the liquid diet when all i was eating was protien.  it helped alot!

mkbeany
on 6/24/11 1:56 am
Do NOT take fiber if things are not moving.
It is an ER visit waiting to happen...or worse, an OR visit.

Not sure when you had surgery or what type but I suffered horribly my first 3 months.
Thats when I started the miralax daily and I don't miss a day.

Mag citrate should work now and a glycerin suppository will help things move down below.
Try both.

I stopped eating dense protein until I got my issue in working order. Otherwise, you are just causing a back up.

Others will stop by with suggestions. I feel for you.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
Ladytazz
on 6/24/11 2:55 am
 I follow Vitalady's protocol which is Miralax daily, 500 mg of magnesium oxide twice a day and stool softeners.  I also take fiber and probiotics.  I had constipation so bad before that I gave myself a hernia.  Since I have been taking this combo I have barely had a problem.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

mbentz
on 6/24/11 3:50 am - Somerset, PA
I'm with mkbeany. She is the one who suggested the Miralax daily to me when I posted on here about my constipation issues.  I put a dose in my coffee every morning without fail.  I have had no problems since.  Thanks, mk!  I don't think there is anything much more miserable than not being able to have a BM and hurting so bad when you try.  Bless you... hope you find an answer soon.
 HW 282  SW 270  GW 160  CW 150
(deactivated member)
on 6/24/11 5:04 am
What worries me is that Ive worked with patients over the years that have had chronic BM problems, and they wound up having bowel obstructions. Then we have to give them perscription strength enemas. They almost died, so please, please if you are really hurting, GO to the ER. I wish you the best of luck
hollykim
on 6/24/11 5:57 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
After you get this one moved out,I agree with Miralax,every day,no exceptions. If I go two days without the Miralax I am already getting in trouble,so every day,period.

for now,instead if a glycerin supp,get the little bulbs that have liquid glycerin in them. whenI was full to bursting,the last thing I could tolerate was another little hard gob of something back there,waiting for it to melt. The liquid goes in easy and quickly moves around the whole mass making it easier to pass,tho it still won't be a walk in the park,mind you.
Good luck and you have my full sympathy
Holly

samsander
on 6/24/11 7:16 am - CA
When all else fails, use a FLEET enema.

Gross, but VERY fast and VERY predictible.

After that ones moves (and it will move BIG TIME after the FLEET, don't be afraid to push), then get yourself on a daily routing of Milalax, Stool Softeners and Mag-Ox.

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

msromagnola
on 6/24/11 7:54 am
No help for you right now --- but what I finally discovered for ME, is not to let a day go by with problems.  I started taking stool softeners morning and night and that finally helped.  I increased my liquid and increased my vegetables. 

I hope you find something that works for you.  I'm finally resolved but I have my poop regime that I strictly follow because I don't want to return to problems.

Just another thing that works for me - and this is TMI, as you wrote, but key for me is this:  if I even have a hint that I need to go to the bathroom - I go.  If I miss it - it may not return - FOR DAYS!

I remember when I was a kid my parents were always asking about "if I went or not" and they seemed to talk about whether they did  or not amongst themselves and I thought it was the  weirdest thing.  Now - I understand!

Good luck.

MSROMAGNOLA
beemerbeeper
on 6/24/11 12:28 pm - AL
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4276854/Vita-Ladys-constipatio n-program/

I take a Magnesium Oxide capsule with every Calcium Dose.

Is it calcium that is stopping you up?  You can take www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp  which is non-constipating.

Other things of course cause constipation.  Do you know what is causing yours?  Narcotics?  Iron?  Too little fat in your diet?

~Becky