Can't stop losing , Dr is doing reversal 7/19

jcastro
on 7/1/11 8:15 am
Hi Everyone,  I normally only read the post of others but wanted to reach out to see if others have lost too much and what did they do?  I had the ryn two years ago at age 57.  It has been a roller coaster ride in and out of tunnels and many of time I wondered when I would stop.  I started at 286 and have lost to 121 at this moment having lost 165#.  Malnutrition is at my doorstep.  I do have a ulcer and a striture.  I fight daily to eat something.  What is your opinion?  Would you reverse it if you could?
TrueNorthFriend
on 7/1/11 8:53 am - Canada
So sorry you are going through this.  I had the surgery to give myself a chance at good health.  I hoped that the tool would work as advertised  - that I would have a signal that told me to stop when I had had enough.  I view myself as lucky that my digestion is good, and nothing causes me to dump. I started at 266 and have lost 120 lbs.  20 mos out.  I just lost 1 more pound after being the same for 2 months.  I think I've hit the balance point.   So... it is tough to put myself in your shoes - but bottom line I want to be healthy.  I hope and pray that all goes well for you.
jcastro
on 7/1/11 10:35 pm
I am rid of all the health issues that I had pre WLS.  It has been replaced with other problems.  I realize that I fell through the low percentage that has had complications.  The surgery did not fail to me, I did lose the weight.  I kept thinking time would heal all the problems with the dr's., help.  My age and past surgeries have not helped.  I should have had the WLS years ago.  When my body was healthier.
bskarenf
on 7/1/11 8:57 am
I had my rny 2-2-10  I was wondering how tall you were, and typically what do you eat daily and do you eat breakfast.   My starting surgery wt was 315,  and I  felt from day one I had to diet to get every lbs off.  However I just basically enjoy the taste of food .  Do you not want to eat? Or  you physically cant eat,  or eat   and still lose?   1800 cals daily?  I did get mal nutr because of colon bacteria and I was so dehydrated.   Im just wondering,  Im sorry  your having to much trouble,                             good luck karen

jcastro
on 7/1/11 11:11 am
Thank you for answering.  I am 5'5" and can eat almost anything that is soft.  I average eating 6 times a day sometimes more often.  I am constantly trying to get something down.  Limit is 2 or 3 bites.  I have not dieted any nor excersised (other than my rocking chair) due to previous disabilities.  Thank you for the good luck
Elizabeth N.
on 7/1/11 9:43 am - Burlington County, NJ
I am so sorry to hear that you are in such misery. I have heard of a few folks requiring reversals and many others requiring revisions. UGH, trying to eat around an ulcer and a stricture *shudder*. I've developed a bit of GERD, VERY mild, and it annoys me daily, so I can't begin to imagine what that must be like :-(.

You might find it useful to check out the failed WLS and revisions boards, and to scroll through the groups listings, to see if you can connect more directly with people who are/have been in the same boat.

cajungirl
on 7/1/11 9:50 am
How tall are you? If it were me I'd treat the ulcer and stricture and add lots of protein shakes to up your nutrition. Some people end up on TPN which is an option.

I've recently loss more weight and have been worried about it. I'm not under weight I just don't look good. I'm eating 3 meal, 3 snacks and 2-3 shakes a day. I figure ill gain some back soon.

I wouldn't even entertain a reversal unless all options were pursued first.

Good luck

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Chilipepper
on 7/1/11 11:46 am
There is no way I would let them reverse me.  I would however let them revise me.  I am sorry that your going through this...I would do what you could to get the ulcer and stricture taken care of.  What do your labs say?  Are they reflecting malnutrition or are you assuming that your are malnourished?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

jcastro
on 7/1/11 10:05 pm
My labs are showing a malnutrition according to my pp.  I have been to the GI doc and they have tried to take care of the ulcer and striture.  Been dialated just didn't last.  Nutritionist can't help until I can intake some nourishment.  I have a very skilled surgeon that has done (he stated 20 reversals) and up in the thousands of by-pass.  Reversal seems to be the only alternative. 
Chilipepper
on 7/1/11 10:44 pm
Revising to a VSG is a very viable option.  It will give you a functioning stomach back and you will regain your absorption..but you will be able to maintain your weight loss a little better without having to put the weight back on. Please please look into revising to a VSG before you make the drastic move to do a full out reversal.

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White