New and depressed

LizShort
on 7/4/11 12:21 pm - NC
 I really need some encouragement.  I am fresh from the surgeon and have lost 16 pounds.  While I should be dancing, I'm not.  I'm still on the liquid diet.  I am so miserable I can hardly stand it.   Please tell me that others have faced this issue.  PLease tell me that this gets easier...

Thanks in advance

Elizabeth
Amy R.
on 7/4/11 12:39 pm
Liquid diet as in "postop"?  Or liquid diet as in "preop"?

When is/was your surgery?  Which surgery type did you/are  you  having.

Miserable because you are restricted to liquids or are there other things?

Sorry for so many questions, but I think we can be more helpful if we have more detail.
LizShort
on 7/5/11 11:29 am - NC
No problem on the questions.  Here are my answers:

My surgery was 6 days ago and I had I had RNY.  

I am miserable because I am restricted to liquids AND because I'm dumping my protein shakes.  

I am sorry that I didn't put the rest up there.  I was so depressed when I wrote this yesterday I could hardly breathe.  Not any better today either.  I called my surgeon and the dietitian told me to "try harder, you can do it."  Like I would choose to vomit??? what ever.  

Thank you for your willingness to help me with this :)  It means a lot!! 
acbbrown
on 7/4/11 1:00 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I was miserable and depressed for two weeks. I'm getting a little better. It's a tough recovery, but I've been told it will be worth it.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Dave Chambers
on 7/4/11 2:10 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Depression is not uncommon with new post ops. Your whole "world of food" has changed, as well as the quantity you can eat.  Follow your surgeon's protocol and you'll likely be on soft foods very sson.  The first 4-8 weeks tend to be the roughest for most post ops, sometimes up to 12 weeks.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

JudiJudi T
on 7/4/11 2:46 pm
I think the first 6 weeks are really tough .. but hang in there, it will get better!  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

Unabellesa
on 7/4/11 6:22 pm
It does get better. Just keep up with all you supplements n protein daily! It's a must!! You will be dancing soon!
MsBatt
on 7/5/11 5:52 am
It WILL get better. I promise.

In the meantime, laugh whenever possible. Among other things, it helps with the soreness.
Rebecca H.
on 7/5/11 3:09 pm
What kind of protein shakes are you drinking ? Maybe check the sugar content. I love the GNC ready made shakes.... strawberry is great. If you go to the GNC on Rea Road in Charlotte, they can let you taste before you buy. Dr Lowe was my surgeon and he is awesome. Also, when I left the hospital, I was literally drinking very very very small sips. As the days went by I learned I could drink a little more each day. I used to gulp the drinks down before the surgery but after.... I had to go much slower. Sometimes it would take me an hour or two just to drink 1 protein shake. Good luck and just take it really slow.
Rebecca H.
on 7/5/11 3:10 pm
OH... depression. One more thing. That anesthesia really does a number on you. It took 2 weeks to get it out of my system. I felt like I was 1 brick shy of a full load. It does have it's effects on you. Give that a couple of weeks to pass
Most Active