Getting off meds when to expect

cutiebootz
on 7/10/11 11:57 am - milwaukee, WI
So how far into the weightloss can someone actually be taken off of highblood pressure pills, have better cholestorol?? I could be wrong but I thought it was at least half your weight you are supposed to lose, and not as early at one month after having your gastric bypass. If you have to lose 100 something pounds, I thought that is when that happens. Seeing that now they are eatting healthy for the first time in their lives as far as we know.. But that is their life and their choice what they want to do with there tool that they have been blessed with.  Unfortunatly for me I am still on nexium and still have GERD and Hietal(sp) hernia.. Along with Gastric bypass induced Hypoglycemia where I make too much insulin. I am 5 years out. I was just wondering.
I know that some people are different but if you are really bad readings a month before you go into surgery, Losing 30lbs I don't think that it would be enough to safely take someone off meds that they need.. But then again I am no doctor. Anyone every had this before or know anything about this.

PRE-OP 283
CURRENT-167

GOAL/ Lowest 141!-New goal -145
http://www.myspace.com/skinnycutieboo

MsBatt
on 7/10/11 12:04 pm
It depends on how your body responds to surgery. Some people leave the hospital off their diabetes meds.

Your hiatal hernia won't resolve without surgery to correct it.
facethemusic
on 7/10/11 12:08 pm
I think it totally depends on your body and how it reacts to the weight loss.  I'm almost 3 months out.  I was off my diabetes meds the first month.  My blood pressure medication was stopped just shy of month 2.  I've neer had cholesterol problems so I'm no help there.  There is no magic number in your weight loss that will get you off the medication though.  Many people still have to take those types of medications even further out.  I've only lost 50 pounds, but all of my obesity related health issues have been resolved.  Not everyone is that fortunate though.  Most doctors won't take you off the medications just because you've lost weight.  They should only take you off of them if testing reveals they are no longer needed.

I'm a bit surprised you still suffer from GERD though.  Have they not offered to fix your hiatal hernia?  That is probably the cause of your GERD.  Once they repaired mine I haven't had a single issue with it.  
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

cutiebootz
on 7/10/11 12:25 pm - milwaukee, WI
They never offerred to fix the hernia, also I have had GERD since I was 16 years old. I have been on nexium for at least 11 or more years. I just had a upper gi done the beginning of this year and they could see me swallowing the barium that was going down and my acid was coming up the other side. i don't feel it because nexium takes the side effects and pain away. But its still there.. I have just learned to live with it is all.
Thank you for letting me know that there is no timeline and such. That makes me feel better and more confident in the results of someones gastric bypass. Even if they are on Insulin. Does that clear up it to??

PRE-OP 283
CURRENT-167

GOAL/ Lowest 141!-New goal -145
http://www.myspace.com/skinnycutieboo

walter A.
on 7/10/11 10:51 pm - lafayette, NJ
the gerd can be fixed,  see a good surgeon, gastrologist,  i have a sleeve under my Nissan wrap, no gerd, hiatal fixed, no burping, no reflux at all.  barrettes on the mend. 
MsBatt
on 7/11/11 2:25 am
RE the insulin---83% of diabetics who have the gastric bypass achieve resolution of symptoms within the first few months post-op. 17% never do. It depends on a lot of factors, but the biggest one seems to be how long someone has been diabetic, and/or how severely diabetic they were. The less severe, for the less time, the greater the chance they'll achieve full remission.
ruggie
on 7/10/11 1:40 pm - Sacramento, CA
It's pretty easy to know if it's time to come off of the blood pressure meds or not.  You can stop them, and test your blood pressure each morning.  Invest in a blood pressure cuff like I have from Amazon, or use one down at the pharmacy.  It's not a guessing game.

For cholesterol, get it screened each month.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Bettisima
on 7/10/11 2:21 pm
I quit taking my blood pressure meds 2 days prior to my surgery, and I have not needed to restart them. My surgeon and PCM work well together, and I track my blood pressure from home. It could depend on what kind of medication you have for blood pressure.

I did not have high cholesterol or diabetes, so I have no personal experience.

Everyone is different.
MacMadame
on 7/10/11 2:24 pm - Northern, CA
I left the hospital off my blood pressure meds. They fixed my hiatal hernia when they did my sleeve. Before that I couldn't control the GERD with meds, but afterwards I could and I did eventually even get off the PPI -- at around 20 months out.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 7/10/11 9:12 pm
I'm not on high blood pressure meds but I was on high cholesterol drugs.  I was on the lowest dose possible and when I started my pre-op Optifast diet my PCP told me I needed to only take 1/2 so I take one every other day.  I also quit 2 out of 3 diabetes meds before surgery and the third when I went home after surgery.

Winnie

Most Active