RNY Survival Kit

mrsmewise123
on 7/11/11 2:36 am - GA
What would you say are the things that helped you out the most post surgery?  My date is not scheduled yet, but will probably be in September.  I think what I am going through is normal as somedays I wake up and am as sure of this surgery as anyhing and the next day I am filled with nothing but doubt and fear.  Please help if you can.

unewillow
on 7/11/11 3:00 am - CT
Having WLS is a major life changer, it's completely normal to go back and forth between excited and freaking out.

As for things that are helpful post op...

Chewable vitamins (Centrum, BA, celebrate) - find something you can tolerate so you can start when you get home. It's also a good idea to start on a vitamin regimen now (if you don't already have one) to get yourself in the habit of taking them.

Protein -  Try out some of the ready to drink kinds pre-op and see which ones you like. Don't go crazy though, maybe buy 1 or 2 bottles to have at home. You can also order protein powder samples from various websites and try those out post op. Remember though, your tastes may change after surgery.

Fluids - Sugar Free Popsicles, Boullion cubes to make broth, crystal light, other zero cal/no sugar beverages. Stock up, these are things that you will continue to eat/drink even as you progress through your stages. I would also invest in a nice water bottle with volume markings on it like this one: www.google.com/products/catalog to help keep track of how much you are drinking.

missnanajean
on 7/11/11 3:50 am - Friendswood, TX
Don't wait til postop to start your vitamins start NOW so your body is in optimum health for when your intake is low. I did this and lost very little hair. Also Papaya Emzymes are a must for when you feel too full or somethin feels stuck. It is a natural digestive enzyme and meat tenderizer that will help with acisd and breaking things up and helping them pass.  Crystal Light Hydrate got me through postop because it has electrlytes in it that will give you a lift when you firat get home and not able to take as much in. Greek yogurt that has 20 grms of protein Fage Total 0% is the best has less carbs and only 100calories per serving You can add your own fresh fruit. I do baked potatoes and make chicken salad with it and spinach dip. It is tart and thick so is a good substitue for half of the mayo in salads and good in soups. A good water bottle to keep track of how much you drink I got at Target it has ounce measure and on the top you give it a turn every time you fill it and you can see how much you have drank. Got it in the sporting goods dept. I also keep a little cooler with snacks and drinks in it for when 'm out all day in the car.
  Miss  Jean   
SandieMc49
on 7/11/11 10:23 pm
Hi - sorry to the people reading this who might be shaking their heads because they've seen me post this quite often.

Counseling!  Oh my goodness, it is so important to explore and work through prior eating habits and your relationship with food.  It's a body and mind combination - just not the body.   I promise you that if  you do that - you will find it very difficult to go back to old habits!  I am so aware now of every bite I'm putting in my mouth.  Whereas before, I'd eat in reaction to every situation in life. 

I recently had surgery where I was at home, inactive for about 2 weeks.  I was miserable- I wanted to cry all the time (I didn't but that's how I felt)!  And that's not like me.  I'm a happy, positive, go with the flow type of person.  Finally it occurred to me.  Before taking the time to explore my eating habits, I would have comforted myself with food.  I didn't need to express how crappy it was to be home unable to do much of anything to anyone because food WAS my best friend.  So, basically, when I stopped using food for that purpose, my friend and confidante (food) wasn't there for me! 

Ding!  Ding!  Another major stride made and I felt so freakin' good.  But I had the help of a terrific therapist who specializes in eating disorders.  She's an important part of my WL team.  Something to think about - good luck with your surgery, hon.

Sandie
Most Active