I swear I'm gonna snap!!

mrsmewise123
on 7/12/11 5:58 am - GA
I don't have a surgery date scheduled yet, so I haven't exactly "gone public" with my plans to all my friends and family.  There are a few people in my immediate family that know I am getting an RNY sometime in the next three months though.  If one more of those people tells me, "Why don't you just go on a diet and exercise?", I swear I'm gonna snap!! You mean it's just that easy?? I guess we have all been swindled by our surgeons since WLS is completely pointless, right? Did you hear that people?? Poof-Just go on a diet and exercise...Hmmmm.....Why didn't I ever think of that.  Oh yeah, that's right, I did.  And everytime I did, I lost weight, lots of it.  But then I gained it back and then some.  People who have never struggled with obesity or studied obesity on a medical level, should never, ever give people advice on overcoming it!! Sheesh!

Just needed to get that off my chest.

Proudtobaloser
on 7/12/11 6:06 am - Fayetteville, NC
ok i may be wrong with my total here BUT there is something about out of the total amount of people who try diet and exercise ALONE only 3% or 7% succeed while the rest "fail".

I have been getting the same lines myself and all I say to them is (well ask), "When did MY body become YOUR concern?" or my favorite, "Thanks for the concern but I can take it from here."

Yes you want to snap but walking away and taking a deep breath would be better, because in the long run those people saying that just may become your biggest supporters. I have told a few people in my family and got the same crap.... although ONE of them is really supprting my decision. I haven't told too many of my friends because I know their views on WLS and I would rather not hear the BS from them of so called facts they pulled off wikipedia.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/11 6:28 am - Reeseville, WI

I have never had anyone tell me anything like that, but then I'm sort of hard in real life and have had people tell me they are scared of me, so maybe that is why.

However, that being said, if someone asks me if I feel better, which does happen, I always tell them yes and mention that I was going to die if I didn't lose weight.  That is the truth.  Try telling such rude people that.

turningpoint
on 7/12/11 7:03 am
"Dang, I wish I had thought about diet and exercise; I never tried that before!" 

People who have never been through it will NEVER understand. I just ignore them.
Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
Melinda D.
on 7/12/11 7:32 am - Lewisville, TX
I have people close to me say things like "Oh such and such had weight loss surgery to lose weight? I'm not impressed with them. I will only praise people who did the work themselves."

IT'S DISGUSTING! (I haven't had WLS yet, and it still offends me)
Melinda D. in Dallas, TX
Patiently waiting for my WLS date!

Rosebud_is_a_sled
on 7/12/11 9:37 am

Don't you just want to look them straight in the eye and say, "OH NO!!!!!!  How will I ever live and be happy without YOUR praise?????  Life won't be the same!!!"

BAH!!!!!!!!  What idiots.

Are they impressed with people who travel in cars rather than ride horseback?  Are they impressed with people who use matches to light a fire, or can they only praise people who rub two sticks together? 

I got my sleeve on March 14, 2011.  I love it so far!

honeybee123
on 7/12/11 9:30 am - Pictou County, Canada
Adjustable Gastric Band on 06/23/11
OMG that burns my a**!! Thanks people, but I have to say I am not fat because I am uninformed, Yeesh! I had my surgery, but have been looking into it for years before hand. I gotta say that in that WHOLE time, only about 20% of my friends and family said I hope you get it! It was always why go through all that? Push yourself away from the table and save yourself the agony. Ok, like up till this point I was TRYING to be fat!!!! Those people who are convinced that WLS is the easy way out should really either do the research or shut up. I wish you every success, and with my family I simply said, I am sorry, you have misunderstood my reasons for sharing this information with you- I am not looking for permission, nor your opinion, I am simply informing you about a life changing event that is happening in my life. I can send you the information on it if you like... other than that I need all the positive feedback I can get for support, and if you can't do that at least don't criticize I am trying to better my life. NOT alot that can be said to that!!
Do Unto others, before they do Unto you..........lol

Linda_S
on 7/12/11 10:40 am - Eugene, OR
I always used to say, "Diet?  WHAT?  Am I fat?  WOW, I had no idea!  Of course I have no idea what I'm doing!"  Sheesh - some people!  

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/11 12:15 pm - Santa Cruz, CA

You made me spit out my iced tea through my nose!!  Why can't I ever think of things like that????
Crystalyn
on 7/12/11 11:47 am - Milwaukee, WI
Those are the most insensitive people who don't understand or won't ever understand.  I ignore them and keep moving.  They are usually the most unhappy people who make everyone around them unhappy.  Just smile and remember that you are doing this for you.  And laugh.

Most Active