What are some symptoms of an ulcer?

mbentz
on 7/19/11 6:18 am - Somerset, PA
I posted yesterday about pain that I was having just left of center, right below the ribcage.  Kinda about where I envision the pouch to be located.  Maybe I'm wrong on that....  anyway, I called my surgeon. He told me to drink a bottle of magnesium citrate and take prilosec for 2-3 days and see if there is any relief.  Well, I did what I was told and the pain has let up a lot, but every so often I feel a twinge.  Pinpoint. Right where it was yesterday.  No radiating pain just right at that spot.  Because I feel better and the prilosec seems to be helping, I am wondering if this is an ulcer.  I have no nausea or vomiting. I can eat and drink with no discomfort.  In fact, I feel better after I eat something.  Anybody out there tell me if the pain I have experienced could be indicative of an ulcer?  I am seeing my surgeon next Monday for my monthly visit so I wll be closely monitoring  myself until then.  As always, thank you for any feedback you are willing to leave me.

HW 282  SW 270  GW 160  CW 150
doreen967
on 7/19/11 6:35 am - SC

I have had a similar problem that started about 6 weeks out.  In my case, it was only on an empty stomach and the pain would go away after eating.  The Dr said it was caused by stomach acid and gave me carafate as an ulcer preventative. The pain stopped after taking the carafate for 1 day.  It seems the high level of stomach acid when your stomach is empty can irritating the stable line while your pouch is still healing.  I still take the carafate from time to time if it acts up, but it has dramatically decreased.  I was told this was fairly common.  I have more details in my blog.  Good luck!

Doreen

mbentz
on 7/19/11 6:50 am - Somerset, PA
Thanks, Doreen.  I kept thinking it was a gas pocket or something but it wouldn't go away.  What you explained makes sense.  Hopefully, its just some acid creating some issues there. 
 HW 282  SW 270  GW 160  CW 150
Kristi D.
on 7/19/11 8:26 am - Buffalo, NY
I have an ulcer and I had no vomitting or nausea.  I had sporadic pain in the center of my upper stomach, which sometimes radiated to the sides as well.  It seemed to be worse on an empty stomach, but it bothered me at other random times also.  I was put on Carafate 4x daily and Prilosec 2x daily and I felt much better within about 2-3 days. 

Kristi

HW:276   SW:255   CW:201  LW:165  GW:140

Most Active