too fat to exercise

heathermarie10311
on 7/24/11 9:00 am - independence, MO
The past month I've been stuck. I have been lingering at 278 to 272. 270 will be my 100lbs lost mark but it seems like no matter what I do I can't reach it. I purchased a few work out videos thinking that switching up my workout routine would help kick my weightloss back on track. I have now tried every single video and found myself depressed and crying halfway through each one because I'm simply too fat to do the exercises on the videos. I feel like I'm going to let everyone down and be stuck at this weight forever. My parents paid $20,000 for me to only lose 90 lbs.
huskerfan85
on 7/24/11 9:16 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Reality check time....what do you mean you are to fat to exercise???  I was exercising at 397 pounds...yes that was my starting weight....you just have to decide you can do it, sure you may not look like the video but those people do that every day many times a day, get out side and walk, vary your pace, walk as fast as you can for 1 minute then slow down for 3 minutes, then go as fast as you can again for a minute.  If you can get to the gym use house hold goods for weights, if you are not ready for 5lbs, use soup cans to add some weight, if you can handle 5 lbs, use a bag of flour or sugar to add weight. 

Don't give up so easy!!!!!

Gayle  6'2" 

heathermarie10311
on 7/24/11 9:47 am - independence, MO
My starting weight was 370 so I wasn't too far from you. My issue is that I have been doing the elliptical for an hr every night burning 700 to 800 cals and I walk my two dogs every day in 100 degree weather. I have been stuck at this weight for a month and its mentally killing me. So I bought the workout videos thinking I could mix up my workouts and maybe restart my weightloss. But i physically can't do what they do. Like mountain climbers I can't do that...there isn't enough space between my body and the floor to do it. I'm too big. It's very frustrating.
huskerfan85
on 7/24/11 10:33 am - Colorado Springs, CO
So do the intervals on the elliptical, go as fast as you can for a minute and then do 3 at a normal pace, also increase your water, and what are you eating, track your food, you may need more protein since you are doing so much.

You can mix it up lots of ways, but trust me the intervals do work, I had a personal trainer for the first year of my weight loss and learned a lot about exercise from her as well as lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of strength without a lot of muscle bulk. 

Gayle  6'2" 

MsBatt
on 7/25/11 11:59 am
thank you everyone for your suggestions and support. i just have a lot of pressure to lose since my parents took out a home loan to pay for my surgery. they ask me every day what my weight is and when i get stuck like this they make me feel horrible. I try to keep my calories around 1200 a day and i do track my intake on a application on my phone. I have been struggling with getting in my water intake so i have started focusing on it more. I cant got o the Y or anything like that BC sadly i have to give up my gym membership BC i just couldn't afford it on top of protein and vitamins and trying to buy healthy foods. Ill keep trying the videos with the modification to the mountain climber. im also adding walking up and down the hill at my townhouses every hour at night just to keep me moving. maybe ill hide my scale for a few weeks so i stop focusing on it so much :)

Okay---your BIGGEST problem at this point isn't your weight, or your 4-week stall---it's the incrredible pressure your parents are putting on you.

You are, in fact, doing GREAT---you've lost 90 pounds in 7 months---what did they EXPECT??? Did THEY research WLS at all? Did they not understand that stalls are a part of the process?

If you're buring 700-800 cals on the elliptical every night, how many calories are you EATING? Eating too FEW calories can stall your weight loss, especially if you're exercizing heavily. Do you journal your food daily? Can you tell us how many grams of protein, fat, and carbs you're eating? How much water you're drinking?
Proudtobaloser
on 7/24/11 9:42 am - Fayetteville, NC
I know i dont do it the way it looks on those videos either but i do it anyhow. if you keep at it you WILL get there. I do zumba and a few other videos and although I know I look like a fat duck on crack with no grace i STILL keep at it. instead of getting obssessed (and yes the way you said it sounds like that) about how you look doing it, laugh it off and say you will do better. I have a friend who got her surgery at 550 pounds and she was out there busting her butt in a HUGE group like 2 months after she got it done. She didnt give two chits what people thought euither because she was doing it for HER.

Thinking you are too fat to do exercise IS helpign you fail, you do not sound liek you want to fail so pull up your big girl panties and do it, do not care how ya look or if you are doing it the exact way those skinny butts on those videos are doing it. Use devila may care attitude and just do it.

I havent had my surgery yet (august 29th) and I go to the gym, I do my workouts in a room full of buff dudes and ladies built like brick**** houses, gives me more incentive actually. And to be honest hardly any of them giving me a passing glance because they are so caught up in what they are doing. And as the phter poster said use household items for weights. Screw going and paying a buttload of money for gym equipment.

You can do it, hold your chin up and screw what the rest of the world thinks.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

acbbrown
on 7/24/11 9:42 am - Granada Hills, CA
There's no such thing as too fat to exercise.

I was in the gym walking on a treadmill at 420 lbs. Did I look ridiculous? Maybe. Did I care? A little. Did I do it anyways? YES.

Start walking. It's free, easy (relatively) and always an option no matter where you are. Track you food, watch your carbs, make healthy choices, and you will continue to go down towards your goal.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

newmerightnow
on 7/24/11 11:06 am - AK
Look at the biggest Loser viedo's. You ajust them to you, not the other way around. Plus it's just like your on the show. Good luck!

Elaine2
on 7/24/11 11:58 am - Atlanta, GA
Ditto what everyone has said about exercise.

However, I think the real problem is your 4 weeks plateau/stall/pause or whatever you call it.  I know it's hard to hear but we all go thru those. I've had 2 full months (Nov and Feb) of no weight loss out of 14 months. Then I'll drop 5 lbs and have regular weekly losses. Sometimes you just can't force it. I'm on week 2 of another pause but I can't panic. It's just how I lose.

What you can do is make sure you're tracking and meeting your stats (cals, protein, carbs, fluids); maybe increase your fluids; yes, maybe change up your exercise.

Stay the course and you'll start losing again. If you're following your plan, don't get down on yourself. If you're not on plan, get back with it. 

Good luck.

t1m1a1c
on 7/24/11 12:05 pm
swimming is a great exercise especially in the heat! it doesnt feel like exercise and everything you do on land you can do in the water too! just a thought hang in there focus on other benchmarks other than the numbers and keep up the great work!
Most Active