Probiotics after RNY?? Should I be taking them?

Karen O.
on 7/25/11 12:08 pm - Erie, PA
I have been reading a lot of people have been taking probiotics.  Is this recommended in RNY?  My doctor never mentioned it.  I have been experiencing a lot of bloating/pain with eating lately (I think I got comfortable with carbs again ... maybe a little too much) so I think that is why I am having the bloating/pain.  But when I look up bloating after 2.5 years a lot of people recommend the probiotics.  Funny I haven't heard of them by my doctor, but a lot of RNY'ers seem to be taking them.
                                                       K a r e n
                    Lap RNY Gastric Bypass JANUARY 26, 2009

MsBatt
on 7/25/11 12:31 pm
They certainly won't hurt you, and they might do you a world of good, especially with the bloating. They help replace the bad bacteria in your gut with good bacteria. Primal Defense Ultra is one of the best.
Karen O.
on 7/25/11 12:49 pm - Erie, PA
Thank you so much!
                                                       K a r e n
                    Lap RNY Gastric Bypass JANUARY 26, 2009

true2me.2011
on 7/25/11 5:33 pm - OH
What are probiotics?
Duck_Girl
on 7/25/11 6:04 pm
Duck_Girl
on 7/25/11 6:06 pm
On July 26, 2011 at 12:33 AM Pacific Time, true2me.2011 wrote:
What are probiotics?
Probiotics are live microorganisms (in most cases, bacteria) that are similar to beneficial microorganisms found in the human gut. They are also called "friendly bacteria" or "good bacteria." Probiotics are available to consumers mainly in the form of dietary supplements and foods.

Examples of foods containing probiotics are yogurt, fermented and unfermented milk, miso, tempeh, and some juices and soy beverages.

I have always just taken the supplements my doctor never recommended them to me either. Although Before surgery I would eat activia daily as well for the same reason.

true2me.2011
on 7/25/11 7:02 pm - OH
Thanks for the info. So how do you know that the probiotics are agreeing or working for your new tummy? Is it less bloating or something.
missingmanny
on 7/25/11 8:33 pm - Canada
 I asked the NUT at Barix about taking them after surgery....[I'd been taking them before], and she said there'd been studies that showed that people who took them after had a greater weight loss...Now, I don't know if that's true, and I didn't continue them for that reason, but I do know that they help with keeping me 'regular'...
I buy them at a health food store...good quality ones that have to be refrigerated...all the best...

HW 268  SW 261  CW 166GW 170 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com    

Duck_Girl
on 7/25/11 8:34 pm
If they are working as intended you will have less gas, less bloating, and be more regular.

Duck_Girl
on 7/25/11 8:51 pm
I forgot to mention that it takes weeks to build up in your system. If you take it religously you should notice a difference within 2 weeks.