DESPERATE-Can't keep my eyes open.....What could this be?

walterswife
on 7/26/11 8:47 pm
I am 19 months out and things have been going well. Taking supplements on schedule, exercising and eating according to the plan.  Weight is up to 121-122 so I have only gone below 120 a few times. (Have not been able to exercise in a few weeks due to the severe fatigue).

For the past 3 weeks I have not been able to keep my eyes open past noon. When that time comes (regardless of where I am), I get sleepily and feel like I need  to sleep.  No matter how much sleep I get, it doesn't help.

History is as follows:

Ferritin has been high at 6 months and 12 months (most recent was 196--429 at 6 months post op.    .
Hematocrit has been borderline-12.1.
Hemoglobin has also been borderline-37.2.
Iron saturation 13.
(these number as well as liver enzymes numbers are from late May 2011.

Liver enzymes have been elevated for at least the last 6 months. AST was 47 and ALT was 87.

I have had 3 surgeries this year:
Breast biopsy (excisional in late January
Bilateral mastectomy in late February
Gall bladder removal in mid May
However, after all of these surgeries I felt better and had more energy than I do now.

I have tried various forms of iron.  For the past few months I have been taking 60 mg. of Vitalady's tender iron daily.  I have also added Vitamin A, Vitamin D (now at 73 as compared to 42 a year ago), Zinc and Biotin.  B12 is running 1999. 

Went to PCP yesterday and he drew blood for a CBC, and also requested a thyroid workup and retest for liver issues.

What could this be?  I really can't afford to miss additional time from work but need immediate help in order to avoid this?  All suggestions would be appreciated.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

turningpoint
on 7/26/11 8:53 pm
I have the same problem but any time of day. Too many carbs & sugar alcohols seem to be the culprit. If I cut those out the symptoms reduce drastically.
Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
walterswife
on 7/26/11 9:39 pm
Thanks Turningpoint.  Those are interesting thoughts.  I have been eating more carbs recently.  I may have been making this too complicated.  I will try managing those things today to see if I notice an improvement.  All I know is that I need some relief, FAST.

Thanks again and congratulations on reaching your goal!

missnanajean
on 7/26/11 9:53 pm - Friendswood, TX
I agree what foods have you changed to in the last 3-4 weeks? Remember they tell us one day you can eat something and be okay and the next not be able to tolerate it. Also make sure your carbs and protein are in balance and you'll have less ttredness(Dumping). Also I find if I go too long without eating something then eat if it's too many carbs the reaction is worse. Hope you get to the root cause and get turned back around soon.
  Miss  Jean   
walterswife
on 7/26/11 10:02 pm
I will have to examine what may have changed.  I can't think of anything offhand........will have to start journaling again.  Looks like you are turningpoint are on the same page.

I will jump on this immediately.

Thanks for your help.

Phyllis C.
on 7/26/11 10:10 pm
Are you on any post breast cancer meds like Arimidex?  I took it for 3 months and then abruptly took myself off of it because it made me extremely tired.   I could deal with the body aches the the fatigue was a deal breaker.  I haven't even told my Oncologist about it because I really am not going to be convinced to go back on it no matter what she says.

Even after I took myself off, I experienced fatigue and other symptoms, but they are leveling off now.

If you are on any of these meds, I would bet that this is the cause.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

walterswife
on 7/27/11 4:16 am
Thanks Phyllis for the suggestion.  We can exclude that b/c fortunately I did not have to take any drugs related to the cancer diagnosis. It was a good thought though.

Thanks again.

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 10:40 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Sure sounds like "Carb Coma" to me!  What are you eating for morning break? 

Some of us are VERY sensitive to refined carbs--I've talked to one woman who would
quite literally pass out within an hour of eating pasta!!!

Journal your intake;  you may need to really be careful about what is in your food.

Best luck. 
walterswife
on 7/27/11 4:29 am
Thanks Lynn.  I think I have been consuming more refined carbs recently.  I have return to journaling today.  Passing out b/c of this is frightening.

For a morning snack I usually have NSA peaches and a pack of Ka****LC   granola bars.  Two bars per serving with  26 carbs and 6 grams of protein and 8 grams of sugar.  (170 calories).  I may have to cut them loose of carbs turn out to be the culprit.

Thanks for the benefit of your experience.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/27/11 4:45 am, edited 7/27/11 4:46 am
App. year year post op RNY was when RH (reactive hypoglycemia) showed up in my life.   It got progressively worse in the last 2 years. 
But if I eat today what you had for the morning snack - I may pass out. I know that my BS would drop... the question is - how fast and how low... (it can drop below 30 - very -very bad). 

The time of eating carbs for breakfast or snack - may be over for you.  if you do not have - get the glucometer - and start measuring your blood sugar...  Mine will drop even when I have proteins in my meal. Even when I have complex carbs, or add fat. It is sugar and/or  carbs that will cause that. The more processed or liquid the carbs - sugars are and the more of them it is in the food - the faster and lower my BS will drop.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active