XP - OT: Broken ribs. Does anyone have any experience, knowledge or advice?

Kristi D.
on 7/31/11 4:00 am - Buffalo, NY
I have one broken rib and one bruised rib.  I consider myself to have a pretty high threshold for pain, but this is the most excruciating pain I have ever felt in my life.  I am wondering if anyone has any advice about how to ease the pain and/or promote faster healing?  I have a prescription for Loratab every 6 hours.  It takes the edge of and makes the pain bearable, but it doesn't really make me comfortable.  I haven't slept in 3 nights even after taking Ambien.  I understand it can take up to several months to heal, but how long will the pain last?  I know it will be sore for a while and I can handle that, but when will the knife-twisting, take your breath away pain ease up?  Any thoughts, advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Kristi

HW:276   SW:255   CW:201  LW:165  GW:140

Heleena33
on 7/31/11 4:47 am - Custer, WA
Hi,
I had 2 ribs broken on my left side about mid way and towards the back.
I agree with you it is very painful.
When I would sit on the couch, I used a pillow under the left arm area in order to keep any unneccessary weight off that side.
Then in bed, I would add a bunch of pillows and roll a round until pain meds kicked in enough to sleep!
Maybe you need a stronger pain reliever.  I missed a week of work!  When sitting, just get comfy and don't be moving around a bunch!
The breath pain stabbing feeling is the hardest to get used to!  It too will pass but once again about a solid week of resting is best!

Hope you heal quickly!

Helen

JULY 11, 2011 MY New Live Began    HW 295   SURG WT 266   GOAL 145
My ticker represents lbs lost from time of surgery .....after liquid IV's were gone!      

Kristi D.
on 7/31/11 10:02 am - Buffalo, NY
Thanks for replying Helen.  It seems like not too many people on this board have much experience to share.  Sleeping is definately the hardest thing right now.  I doze off and then wake up within 2 hours.  Unfortunately I can't take any time off of work due to a huge project I am starting tomorrow.  Luckily I have a desk job and will plan to take it easy this week. 

Kristi

HW:276   SW:255   CW:201  LW:165  GW:140

beth-28
on 7/31/11 3:25 pm
Hi Kristie,

I'm sorry, but I have never broken a rib, so I can't give any tips on pain relief. I just wanted to say that even though it hurts, you should take deep breaths as often as you can. Taking shallow breaths can lead to pneumonia because phlegm will collect in your lungs. If you can't do it because of the pain, talk to your doctor about different pain meds. Also bracing your side with a pillow when you cough or deep breath may help. 

I hope you recover soon,

Beth 
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

jenysez1
on 7/31/11 6:28 pm - LA
Oh they are a ***** to break (pardon my language)  I have a Bone disease and have broken many bones and those are one of my worst.  Rest Rest Rest and pain meds.  I so feel for you.  Hope you get back to normal soon. 

Jenny

sweetpotato1959
on 8/1/11 11:18 am
 Sounds like you need a stronger or different dose of pain medicine, for the first week or so.the first 7-10 days of a break is usually the  worst...from other experiences...observed and recorded.
      I haven't experienced bone pain,from a break....but I have chronic pain, mostly seasonal.
        My Doc  has me on a prevacid when I take my combo of motrin and tramadol, (200-400 of motrin and 50-100 of  tramadol.when in severe pain)I might take two doses in one day...and I aways take it with 30 mg of prevacid to protect my pouch and my  shortened intestines.  I have read the other responses and they seem to be right on. take care of yourself and take it as easy as possible. 
qnmimi
on 8/1/11 4:30 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
Did you get an abdominal binder with surgery, if not try to get one. The splinting(compression) support can feel much better. Remember to deep breathe...10 deep breaths every hour while awake keeps the lungs aerated, and your lung muscles active, and along with good pain control, and adequate hydration will help to stay healthy too. Alternate warm, and cold packs...cold is better if you can tolerate it. Good luck, hope you feel better soon!!

Most Active