Post RNY pouch measurements !?!?!?!

dee492
on 8/15/11 4:18 am - Chandler, AZ
So I had stopped losing at my 18 month point..started gaining a pound here, losing two there and back and forth staying at about 190...I went to my surgeon and they had me have an upper GI....my pouch measured 4cmx4cm which is very small...BUT I was told it should be 3x3 so it is a bit stretched so now I'm all freaked out and making myself sick about this, I think I screwed everything up now and dont know what to do..I eat about 1 cup of food sometimes 1.5cups if its not dense and I eat 3x per day...I just dont know  I need some advice here, I dont want to ever go back to my old life and I didnt think and still dont think I have done wrong, but obviously somewhere I did!

Please help me out here. Have you had your pouch measured? If so, what did you  measure and how far out? Please let me know
Thanks!
Denise
        surgery 312                     current 184                       goal 150          
Mary Catherine
on 8/15/11 6:11 am
 By 18 months the pouch has stretched out enough to hold one or one and a half cups of food.  I don't know what that comes to in cm's but know that it is normal for it to be stretched out.  It is also normal to start having some bounceback weight gain.  The intestines are now learning how to overcome the malabsorption that was caused by the surgery.

When I had gained back about 15 pounds, I rejoined Weigh****chers.  Now I have worked out a eating plan based on WW and the weight gain has stopped.  I still would like to lose all or most of the regain, but at least there has been no more gain.

I weigh myself every morning because that keeps me out of denial. I went to WW meetings for a while, but now am just doing it online.  I don't dump, so do not have problems with the fruits and vegetables that are 0 points on the plan.  I cut out the protein shakes and most of the meat that I was eating.  
Sharyn S.
on 8/15/11 12:40 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
The pouch will mature with age and you SHOULD be able to eat 1-1.5 cups of food.  Otherwise, you would starve to death.

The window of opportunity for weight loss is 18-24 months.

Didn't your surgeon tell you any of this???

Hate to tell you this, but you are perfectly normal.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

dee492
on 8/15/11 1:10 pm - Chandler, AZ
What I was saying was, I dont think I did anything to strech my pouch to be larger than it should be, I  DO NOT eat more than the recommended amount of food at a time and dont snack in between meals etc...

My surgeon told me alot of things, but also told me that my pouch should measure 3cmx3cm and it measures 4cmx4cm , I was simply wondering if others have been measured and if they were in my same boat or did they measure where they are "suppose to"  because I didn't , and I thought I was doing everything right.

Thanks
Sharyn S.
on 8/15/11 1:13 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
And what I said was, "the pouch matures."  Meaning, it will grow a bit to allow you to eat more so you won't starve to death.  It is part of the body's natural adaptation.

You haven't done anything wrong.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

rbb825
on 8/16/11 8:34 pm - Suffern, NY
Do realize what size you are talking about?  3 cm by 3 cm?  or 4 cm by 4 cm?  2.5cm = 1inch, so are you trying to say that your stomach is only 1 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches?  That may be the size when we have our surgery - they say it is the size of an egg but there is no way it is still that size after a year or more.  If you are able to eat a cup or a cup and a half at a time, then there is no way your stomach is that tiny and it shouldnt be at this point. Like, the other poster said, you would starve to death

dee492
on 8/17/11 1:17 am - Chandler, AZ
Do you realize that I had been fasting for 14 hours and the pouch was completely empty? Yes I know how tiny it is...I also said MY SURGEON SAID it should be 3x3 and I am measuring larger! I am by no means stupid and I know what I eat and like I said I was freaked out because I had done everything by the book. So I know I am not starving and I know I would be if the pouch didnt strech when you eat...when you eat it streches larger to accomodate the food also. SO, again, I only asked because I didnt know, I shouldn't have to feel that I cannot ask a question. I know what my doctor said and I would have to assume she is correct.
Thanks so much for your advice!
Denise
rbb825
on 8/17/11 2:39 pm - Suffern, NY
I wasnt' trying to attack you - I was just saying that I feel your surgeon is wrong for saying your pouch should be  a tiny bit over 1 inch by 1 inch at almost 2 years out.  I have never heard anyone refer to there pouch in terms of cm or inches, so this is totally new to me. I just know how much food we can fit in it.  Even saying it is 4X4 seems really tiny to me at your stage of the game.

Some surgeons like to give us these numbers to try to scare us.  Honestly, I found the best way to either continue to lose weight or maintain your weight is to eat 5-6 small meals per day rather than 3 larger meals.  By eating this way you increase your metabolism, maintain your blood sugar and decrease hunger.  This is the way they always recommend diabetics eat and is great for us post op as well.  It also helps for people with problems with low blood sugar.  You eat a small amount - 4-6 ounces of protein plus fruit, vegetable, starch - rotate choices during the day but must have protein with each meal and eat every 2-3 hours.  Give it a try.

I am sorry if I gave off the wrong impression - always feel like you can ask questions, I am always here to answer when I can.

dee492
on 8/18/11 4:47 am - Chandler, AZ
thank you, I appreciate that very much. I have a lot of stress feeling like I have failed. I am going to try the 5-6 small meals and see how that goes.
Thanks
Denise
beatrice00
on 8/17/11 3:27 am - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
Ask the same question on the RNY forum. People are very nice there. Three centimeters is basically a little bit over one inch so that's really tiny. You are not far off from it so I think your size is still fine. Don't worry at all. My pouch started out at 50cc and about one inch in size and I'm really curious what it will get to at 18 months. Good luck to you.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1103 views