total joint replacement surgery after RNY

redbedhead
on 8/18/11 6:31 am, edited 8/18/11 6:32 am - Colorado Springs, CO
I have scheduled the first of 4 Total joint replacements, right hip, for October.  The other hip and both knees with be finished being replaced by the end of 2012.  (Each one has to be fully recovered before the next one can be done.) 

Does anyone have experience with having a total joint replacement surgery (Hip) AFTER they had RNY.  The information I was given for the Joint replacement program had me take a Nutritional Health Quiz which said if you answer yes to one or more of these questions to drink 2 cans of Ensure a day while in the hospital and at home for healing.  NATURALLY I answered yes to more than one question, but Ensure is NOT good for me, as the sugar and lactose in it make me massively ill. 

Think my regular protien powder (Syntrax Nectar) would be good enough?  I will talk to the Doc and the Joint replacement class instructor about my unique nutritional needs when I go to class and to pre-op, but wanted you all's input.  And I am willing to pay to go see the Nutritionist if necessary. 

Anna   
RNY 10/14/08 LBL 6/14/11    135 pounds lost, after bounceback regain.  And I am OK with that.  It enabled me to have double hip double knee replacements in the 9 month periond between Oct 2011 and June 2012.  

Renee2007
on 8/18/11 6:54 am - Central, FL
 I think the key is really upping your protein to optimize the healing process. What you currently use should be fine. It's what is most absorable for your anatomy. After any surgical procedure I have had I just really pushed my protein intake and using a shake that works for you should be fine.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

k9ophile
on 8/18/11 7:30 am
OK, I know you want to hear from RNY folk.  I'm 3 weeks post-op from a single total knee.  My surgeon and hospital staff were very co-operative when it came to taking my vitamins and other supplements.  They had no issues with me bringing in my own protein shakes. You can always show them the ingredients in your shake.  My surgeon heard "protein" and was OK.  Ensure isn't all that great for me as a DSer, either.  I think as long as you are polite when you are insisting that you must keep your vitamin regimen and up your protein in a way that is better for your needs than Ensure, you'll be fine.  If you meet resistance, get a little more assertive.  Your body is going to be under a great deal of stress following joint replacement and you will have to be firm or suffer the consequences.

Best wishes on your joint replacement.  My new knee was one of the major reasons I needed to lose weight.  My surgeon refused to do a joint replacement while I was still SMO.  This has been hard work with exercising and getting mobile again.  I'm glad he insisted as I can't imagine doing this with the extra 185 that are now history.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

redbedhead
on 8/18/11 7:15 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
I knew going into the RNY 3 years ago that replacements were in my future.  I have had Psoriatic Arthritis for almost 20 years now and have failed with all arthritis meds currently on the market. 

I had NO Idea that all 4 needed replaced since only one was symptomatic at a time and they were intermittent.

My ortho did refuse to fight the insurance (they wanted me to wait until I was 45)  to be able do the replacements 4 years ago unless I was under 300, so he was estatic to see me and my weight loss yesterday.  And Even called the insurance to fight for me to get the replacement approved (They gave token protest, then agreed.)

I appreciate knowing that you had no problems with the hospital letting you bring your own shakes.  I will definitly be assertive about that!

Glad to know your TKR is going well.  Pray that my THR goes just as well in October.

Anna   
RNY 10/14/08 LBL 6/14/11    135 pounds lost, after bounceback regain.  And I am OK with that.  It enabled me to have double hip double knee replacements in the 9 month periond between Oct 2011 and June 2012.  

Sharyn S.
on 8/18/11 11:09 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with

Protein is what's important.  Ensure is what the hospital will provide.  It should not be a problem for you to provide your own.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1491 views