How can sadness come with weight loss?

mahogany357
on 8/19/11 11:59 am - KISSIMMEE, FL
I'm down 43lbs and today I was so excited feeling so sexy, getting head turning attention and at this moment I'm emotional and sad. Thinking about keeping up with the feelings/high and sexiness or renewal of what has been lost is really upsetting me! How will I maintain the clothes cost and attitude adjustments needed as more weight falls off? The demand is great when ur body is completely shifting almost every week!!!! Ugh Maybe I'm hormonal ....or maybe the reality of all sorts of thing is just Really hitting me low and hard!!!! But oh well I know things will change. I'm gonna b grateful I'm losing...BC change is good!!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/19/11 12:05 pm
 Many of us have trouble feeling sad when the weight starts to come off, probably in part to a hormone dump. Our fats holds many things, like hormones, and when we lose weight quickly all of that stuff gets dumped back into our systems. 

You need to drink lots of water to keep the toxic stuff from building up and make life easier on your kidneys with this new influx of stuff. 

If clothing is a problem, look at places like Goodwill, and freecycle. I really enjoy finding something cute at a bargain price. After that, just try to enjoy the new weight loss.
missnanajean
on 8/19/11 12:19 pm - Friendswood, TX
Yes definitely get ready for a Wonderful new YOU! Everyday your body changes  for the better. I have discovered the most amazing clothes namebrand top of the line in resale shops for pennies on the dollar. I am now wearing things I never  ever thought I would like or even fit into. Take one day at a time and savor the moment . ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE!!!!
  Miss  Jean   
acbbrown
on 8/19/11 12:31 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I dont think we can put all the blame on hormones - some yeah, but I think more people need to realize that this is an extremely emotional journey - its not simply a surgery on our stomachs. There's a lot to deal with so I think what you are going through is totally normal. You are doing great by realizing what you are feeling so now you can deal with it.

I'm super stressed about the clothing costs - mostly because i'm a lawyer and do jury trials for a living and I really need to have nice suits for work that I can't easily get like other clothes. But, every day, I have to remind myself it's worth it.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Bubba-Gump
on 8/19/11 12:42 pm
I was thinking about this the onther day when I realized that when I lose weight people will notice and compliment me or men may comment and that has always made me uncomfortable. I am modest, I do not like low cut shirst or even v-necks. I prefer loose pnats to tight and this was even as a teen when I was a normal weight.

I am looking foward to lots of changes, physical, emotional, hormonal, attitude. Just try to embrace the changes slow and you will adjust.

As far as the cloths go try to pick up some items from the Goodwill store or the likes to mix your outfits up with a different scarf or hat.
Dave Chambers
on 8/19/11 3:54 pm - Mira Loma, CA

It's really a combination of things:

Depression is a common issue with many post ops. Some had "food issues" that have to be avoided post op, and the thought of "no more" of these foods makes many depressed.

Hormones are elevated post op, and moody feelings are bound to happen.

Self image issues bother some post ops for months, if not longer. I know multiple people in my support groups who still see "the old fat person" in the mirror daily.  Most of these post ops with this issue seek professional counseling to get over this issue.

Worry about whether you can comply with postop lifestye changes can be troublesome to deal with for some post ops.  Failure from previous wt loss attempts can cause doubts for early post ops too.

I'd really suggest you attend support groups. You'll learn a lot about these issues which will make your journey much easier. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

ToriRaye
on 8/20/11 6:26 am - FL
 The first thing I can say is you are certainly not alone.  I had my surgery in March and I have been dealing with this emotional roller coaster for a while now.

What I do know is this:  First, the fat in a woman's body is treated by the body as a form of estrogen.  When you lose weight, and the fat is being disposed of in your body - that effect of estrogen is also changing.  I had a long conversation with my GYN relating to some of the changes I was experiencing in this area.  (At least you probably didn't make the mistake I did and go on the DepoProvera shot immediately after surgery based on the idea that birth control pills are not really all that effective with the Gastric Bypass patients due to the absorption issues.  That was a huge mess because that injection increased my testosterone levels while my body was removing considerable amounts of effects from estrogen).

Second, think of the things that use to make you eat.  Were you an emotional eater?  If so (like me), you are not able to soothe yourself with food like you used to.  For me, it was sweets.  Since I am not able to soothe myself with sweets, I go without that soothing.  I actually caught myself the other day wanting to eat something when I was stressed - coconut Pepperidge Farm frozen cake - and I realized it was due to my stress and made a decision to do something else instead of eat...so I read a book.  By the time I finished reading, my desire to eat was over.

The other thing I want to mention is to try consignment shops for clothes during your weight loss.  With the amount of weight we are losing right now - it certainly doesn't make sense to buy new clothes.  Also, garage sales may provide an option for clothing in your fast changing sizes too - and will at least provide a way to buy inexpensive clothing for the few weeks you will be in them.  Once you are done losing weight, then you can hold a sale and get rid of them that way too.  Another thought is to check with people in a local church if you attend one.  Maybe some of the folks in church would be able to help with a donation or two as you change sizes.  Just a thought.  I have been using the consignment shops and have found about 4-5 designer items for less than $50 because they were on sale that day.  Also, check with members of your family or friends in those sizes - almost everyone has clothes they can't wear in the back of their closets.  Many of them would be relieved to not have to store them anymore too.

Hang in there and keep your mind strong.  All you need to do is keep your eye on the success and the new life you have in front of you.  However, if you feel like it is warranted, talk to your doctor about taking medications to help stabilize your moods.  I also highly recommend seeing a therapist who is familiar with weight loss surgery patients to have someone to talk to while you are going through all of these changes.  This is certainly not an easy path for us, but it is most certainly healthier in many cases.  

Don't focus on where you are - Focus on where you want to be!
Most Active