Calling All Teachers!

Evelyn3131
on 8/25/11 10:36 am - Burlington, NC
Hi All,

Have many of you found that it is hard to eat during the day?  I am trying my best, but some days, like today for instant, it seems hard for me to eat.  I ate a protein bar!  I do manage to drink, but find it hard to eat properly.  With me being only 8 weeks out, I need to learn to eat more calories during the day to satisify my daily requirement.   Because there is no way I can eat 400 to 500 calories at night....  my pouch doesn't like to eat too much at night.  Has anyone experienced a grouchy pouch during the early mornings and late evenings?  I tend to throw up or feel upcomfortable if I eat after 6 or 7.  Can any of you give me some advice?   My planning is at the end of the day.  I am with my students from 8:00 til about 2:00.

Thanking You in Advance,

Surgery Date 6/30/2011          
Keldriv
on 8/25/11 11:08 am - Fair Play, SC
What grade do you teach. I know when I was that far out I would cut my protein bar into smaller bites and eat them thoughout the day. I would also (and still do) bring my water bottle (freash from the freezer) and keep it on my desk all day. If the kids are older then its easier to eat thoughout the day. If they are younger have snakes for them there as a reward system and allow them to only have a snack for good work (piece of candy perhaps). You would only have to give one to only special deserving kids at the time to make it last. Maybe for instance the kid from the day before that was quiet or listened well.
                                   Married Mother of 3 Likeing the New Me!!
Highest Weight 384, Pre-surgery weight 313, Current Weight @144, Goal Weight 150, Ideal Weight
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
"Be not anxious for what you shall eat, or what you shall drink ... or what you shall wear ... Isn't life more than food? ... and the body more than clothing?"~ Luke 12:22; 29
Kelly    
redsnapper1975
on 8/25/11 12:44 pm
Is there anything you can tolerate in the AM- shakes, yogurt?  You really should get something in you in the AM.  If you really have to, just bring an easy breakfast with you and eat it in class (cheese stick, hard boiled egg already peeled).  If your kids have a snack time, do it then, but I don't think the kids would even notice after the first day.  If the ask, I'd just tell them your doctor said you have to and not make a big deal about it.  :)  If you can get something in early, have lunch at school, then have dinner on the early side you should be OK.  You could add protein/snack in at your prep time or end of the day.

I'm headed back Monday.  I had my surgery at the end of the year, so this will be my big jump back into reality with my new way of eating.  Here's my plan-

eat breakfast at home before I go
bring protein coffee with (or make at work, not sure)
lunch- I usually bring food on Monday for all week- I eat lunch every day at work, even if it's quick
snack- I'm going to keep protein snacks there to have at the end of the day, before the commute home
dinner at home

Good luck!  You'll figure it out!
~ Kim

acbbrown
on 8/25/11 1:41 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I work in a court, and not always easy to eat, but I said screw it and just bring a protein shake with me to sip on.

I also carry some beef jerky with me in a little bag in my pocket - and take little bites everyonce in a while. One ounce has 15 g of protein. I don't do that every day because its freaking expensive, but I also do the same thing with almonds.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

pjwilsen
on 8/25/11 10:51 pm
HI there,

~My pouch is very grouchy first thing in the am, or any time I have been without food for a while. I cannot eat immediately after waking, I must ease into it with warm drinks, then food an hour later. I am several years out and this continues to be the case. If I eat something right off the bat, It does not stay with me. 

In order to get it all in , you could make a fresh shake in the morning, waking up extra early. For later, Pure Protein Brand shakes come in cans and can be toted. They are pleasing to my palate, and pack at least 20 grams of protein.

There is a low fat, high protein beef stick called Ostrim. They have different flavors and varieties, Some are made with turkey, some with Ostrich and Beef.  The sticks are much more moist than jerkey, but they do have to be chewed WELL at your stage. The have negligble fat, 80 calories and 14 protein grams. They are very portable.  Skim cheese sticks may also be an option.

The wafer type protein bars are MUCH easier to eat than bulky or chewy bars. Power Crunch bars are one example. They are very light and go down smoothly. 

When you are done with the kids, you can bring something more substantial to eat, when you are able to take your time.  Any time I try to eat on the fly, I get sick.

Good luck and keep us posted!

apple1975
on 8/26/11 10:28 pm
I am a kindergarten teacher and I feel your pain. I drink the Special K20 water mix. It has 5 grams of protein. I usually eat an egg for breakfast with a little shredded cheese for extra protein. My lunch varies. I am considering Glucerna Shakes(the ones in the diabetic section ) for added calories.  However, the carb content is like 27!(but I am not taking in many carbs either) I also drink protein hot chocolates and shakes for an added 15 to 20 grams. Then supper varies.  It's not so much about explaining things to the students, It's that we dont have time! lol There are days when I find it very difficult to even get a bathroom break.  Best of luck to you! Were both pretty early out (I'm 6 weeks on Monday) We will figure this out soon. BTW/ Jiff to Go makes an individual 1.5 oz peanutbutter that has been a lifesaver for me on busy days.:)

255/160/140  *first goal reached 1/14/12     Phillipians 4:13
Nee000
on 8/27/11 3:47 am - MI
Hi Evelyn
I spend a lot more time thinking about food after wls then I did before.  Each morning, I pack an insulated lunch bag with ice packs, (so I can keep it on my desk), with all of the food & snacks that I plan to eat during the work day. I eat breakfast at home and Most mornings, I freeze a protein drink, so that it will still be cold when I drink it mid morning.  I try to cut and pre-measure everything  so that I won't have to worry about doing it at work.

I also keep pre-measured protein powder, crystal light & gatorade packets, water, nuts, protein bars (you can cut them up so that it will be easy to pop a small peice in your mouth without the kids noticing), soup, indiviual peanut butter packets, beef jerky and oatmeal at my desk so that I always have options.
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1389 views