To Those of You Who are still researching WLS, I'd like to tell you about the DS (duodenal...

Felicia S.
on 9/3/11 10:11 am - Lincoln, NE
I know when I first came to OH I had never heard of this surgery.  I was considering getting a lap band or RNY.

Well, I came here and started reading about the DS and was completely convinced it was the best choice for me.

I invite any and all of you to research the DS.  You can find really good information at the following websites:

http://www.duodenalswitch.com

http://www.dsfacts.com

You can also visit the OH DS forum and ask questions.  We are always happy to answer any questions you might have.

It is truly the best decision I have ever made for myself.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  The first 2 months were HARD.  It took me time to get used to my small stomach.  I would eat too fast and too much.  But once I got used to my new anatomy, I was so much happier.

I am able to eat pretty much anything I want in moderation.  If I overindulge in white flour products, I will get gas...but over-the-counter meds help that.  I never have diarrhea (I think I may have had it once in my 2-1/2 years since surgery).  I tend toward constipation and take stool softeners a few times a week.  I eat sugar with no problems...but for a DS patient to be completely successful it is important to minimize sugar as we absorb 100% of the sugar/simple carbs that we consume. (Sugar is my "vice" that I struggled with as a pre-op and continue to struggle with as a post-op--but even with this wicked sugar addiction I have, I have maintained my weight for the last year and a half--but I definitely DO want to get this under control.)

We are only able to absorb 20% of the fat we consume.  So, we are able to eat fattier foods without feeling too guilty as we know we are not able to absorb the fat.  Everyone needs some fat in their diet, thus we have to eat more fat than those with other less malabsorptive type weight loss surgeries.  Having said that, though, I don't sit around eating sticks of butter!  I just don't worry abou****ching my fat.  I can have fattier cuts of meat, add cheese and full-fat salad dressing to my salad, etc.

We need to make sure we drink a lot of water, take all of daily vitamins, follow-up regularly with our surgeons and get our blood work done, focus on eating protein first with a goal of 90+ g per day, eat complex carbohydrates and minimize simple carbs.

Please feel free to IM me or visit the sites I listed above.  Also, my profile is public, so if you want to read all about my experience (and I shared all the pros and cons), please feel free to do that as well.

Take care and good luck with this hard decision!

Felicia
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

MARIA F.
on 9/3/11 10:31 am - Athens, GA

Very well put! Congrats on your DS!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Felicia S.
on 9/3/11 10:37 am - Lincoln, NE
Thank you Maria...the same to you as well! :)

Felicia

walter A.
on 9/3/11 10:44 am - lafayette, NJ
you left out the part about the very best surgeon to get it from,,,Dr A in Omaha
Felicia S.
on 9/3/11 11:32 am - Lincoln, NE
Well, you and I might be biased...lol...but I don't think so.  He really is the best surgeon :)

NoMore B.
on 9/3/11 10:58 am
 Felicia
Nice to see you post and that you're doing so well!  You had your DS awhile before I had mine, so I watched your progress.  You were such an inspiration to me.

Great update post!
Joanne
Felicia S.
on 9/3/11 11:33 am - Lincoln, NE
Wow!  thank you Joanne...you're so sweet.  Hugs, Felicia

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/11 12:29 am - Bayonne, NJ
Thanks, Felicia. Stories like yours made me realize that the Ds was the best choice for my revision.
Most Active