Did You Hormone Dump?

goodkel
on 9/6/11 4:33 am
Ok, so hormones are stored in fat and rapid weight loss flushes those hormones into your system like a tsunami. I've seen the happiest people reduced to crumpled heaps of despair by this. *raises hand*

It passes and some people don't seem to struggle with it at all.

Did you hormone dump? If so, what was your experience?

I'm also interested in whether or not you were already clinically depressed, under treatment or not, and how it effected you.

I've been discussing this with a pre-op who believes her untreated depression can only be helped by WLS. I think that's a dangerous proposition.

What do you think?
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/11 4:50 am
I agree, I think it'd be very risky for her.. for a few reasons. Hormone dump (didn't really effect me, but I know it happens to some) loss of possible coping mechanism (food).. & major trauma can often exacerbate depression as well. She needs to treat the depression, then get WLS or at least be in treatment during the process.. safety net and all that.

I didn't have any raging hormone issues other than very heavy periods the first few months, so I know something was happening. I have suffered major depression years ago, and would not have (I believe) fared well if I had went through something as life changing as WLS in the thick of it..
MsBatt
on 9/6/11 4:54 am
I had struggled with clinical depression for YEARS pre-op. I suffered from 'Prozac Poop-out'---I think that's what they call it---any anti-depressant works FOR A LITTLE WHILE.

I'd finally just given up on taking them---it was just depressing me more to pay $100 a month for something that was doing me no good. I disucssed this at my psych eval, and offered to go back on them if he thought I should. He felt that I knew wnough about my depression that I'd know when to seek help, if I needed it, so I did NOT go back on the meds.

About ten days after my DS, it was like the sun coming out. My depression was GONE. At my two-month check-up, I discussed this with my surgeon, and he told me he'd had other DS patients tell him the same thing.

I don't know how typical my experience is, and I've love to see a study done on it. But for ME, any hormone dump was beneficial.
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/11 5:03 am
Considering the gut produces a butt-load of the body's serotonin, this does not surprise me.. The only thing that concerns me about the friend mentioned above is she is not in treatment.. She really should have someone monitoring her during the process just in case it swings the other way..
goodkel
on 9/6/11 6:30 am
On September 6, 2011 at 12:03 PM Pacific Time, Jo777 wrote:
Considering the gut produces a butt-load of the body's serotonin, this does not surprise me.. The only thing that concerns me about the friend mentioned above is she is not in treatment.. She really should have someone monitoring her during the process just in case it swings the other way..
She is in therapy, but she still can't get out of bed some days.

I question how much therapy can sustain her when it isn't all that successful now.
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

goodkel
on 9/6/11 6:27 am
On September 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:
I had struggled with clinical depression for YEARS pre-op. I suffered from 'Prozac Poop-out'---I think that's what they call it---any anti-depressant works FOR A LITTLE WHILE.

I'd finally just given up on taking them---it was just depressing me more to pay $100 a month for something that was doing me no good. I disucssed this at my psych eval, and offered to go back on them if he thought I should. He felt that I knew wnough about my depression that I'd know when to seek help, if I needed it, so I did NOT go back on the meds.

About ten days after my DS, it was like the sun coming out. My depression was GONE. At my two-month check-up, I discussed this with my surgeon, and he told me he'd had other DS patients tell him the same thing.

I don't know how typical my experience is, and I've love to see a study done on it. But for ME, any hormone dump was beneficial.
How very interesting.

The person in question has had genome testing that confirms that she metabolizes antidepressants too quickly. At most, they work for a week and then leave her with just the ugly side effects, so she gave up on them.

I'm trying to convince her to find a good psychiatrist who will work with her. I read that some people with her disorder have been helped by a ****tail of drugs and/or increased dosages.

But, she has been in therapy consistently for years. She may very well have the self knowledge to recognize that she needs help. But, given her defeatist attitude towards meds, the question is whether or not she would seek help.
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

MsBatt
on 9/6/11 11:55 am
For me, they'd work for about six months, then things would gradually get worse and worse...and that was several years ago now. I hope they have better choices now.
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/11 5:12 am
 JUst  a vote for common sense  - diets  are "happy  "   so why shouldn't surgery  which is a PERMA NENT  diet be classified as  HAPPY ?!!  

I wasa *****   while i was starving (  ll 6weeks of he mandatory 4 shake a day diet   leading up to my surgery ) 

Iwas  a DREAM post op  lol   
MsBatt
on 9/6/11 6:10 am
What ARE you babbling about???

Diets are "happy"? Since when? And no, WLS isn't a permanent diet.
Christine X.
on 9/6/11 6:43 am - TX
What is she taking about? I get so confused trying to follow what she is saying.
Christine  "Life is like a jar of jalapenos.  What you
do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Check out www.dsfacts.com for information on Duodenal Switch